1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scam of the Day tip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I got a message on my cell phone I thought I'd pass along so that it may save someone from getting took:

It says "FCU temporarily locked your card: acct 4444-XXXX....Contact us immediately at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

The obvious CLUE is if you know your card number, you'll recognize the digits they give are not yours.

So I google this number and ...

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-866-925-4932

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A fake pay pal site sent me a similar thing saying my account had been blocked and to give them my bank account info and they would unblock it.

3. ScribePharisee

If it doesn't come from your bank, don't answer it.

If it says it's from your bank, call the local number of your bank found not on the message but in the phone book to verify.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

If you get an email claiming to be from your bank and it directs you to log in via the e-mail rather than your bank's website. at the very least check with your bank but most likely you should just go ahead and delete that e-mail.

Phishing scams work because most people are oblivious and too trusting.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I get those frequently and some are pretty tough to tell as spam. Used to delete them all until recently, when I sold some crap on ebay and needed to get my paypal account up to date, and found that my account really had been blocked.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Used to get those paypal emails all the time, despite never having used paypal for anything.

7. ScribePharisee

I'd like to meet the few remaining stupid people on earth who would respond to an email from some crown prince of Ethiopia (the most recent email I got) or a royal family in Tanzania, or the British Lottery of Great Britian who tell them they have money to deposit in their name.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Yeah, everyone knows that only the emails from the Egyptian Prince are real. I'm getting my check next tuesday!

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Unbelievable, a guy I work with who is on the 'Net all the time, this week forwarded me the e-mail that the benevolent Bill Gates is returning money to his Microsoft customers, $240. "And I'm a lawyer and I checked this out and it is totally legit."
    How long has that one been making the rounds, 7-8 years?

Draft saved Draft deleted