1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SBT coverage of Notre Dame search

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Dec 4, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yep. They got exactly who they wanted. He was groomed for that job.

Notre Dame walks around like old Norsemen thinking they can just plunder whatever village it wants and take their coach. They usually wind up passed out drunk in the street and don't like who they wake up with.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

That's just plain foolishness. To say that Notre Dame struts around thinking they can plunder any school they want for their coach is just more bitter prejudice toward the school. No one at Notre Dame has been doing this---it's the media, not Jack Swarbrick, that has built this created this whole plotline throwing arouond all these names like Meyer, Stoops, etc.

As for the basic premise that Notre Dame conducts a bigtime search for a big-name coach, well, DUHHHHHH! That makes them no different than Alabama, or Michigan, or Texas, or Southern Cal, or fill in the blank.

Face it, some folks just want to crap on Notre Dame.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Hank and I interpreted that as wondering why a Chicago paper would be relevant covering Notre Dame, hence the geography comment.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

Simple answer: Notre Dame matters in Chicago.

5. noodles

noodles Member

Notre Dame matters in Chicago, but if I'm looking for information, I'm not going to the Sun-Times, which ran with the Stoops rumor even AFTER the guy issued a statement. FLAT. OUT. WRONG.

Again, better to be first than to be right.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't the Stoops rumor originate with one of ESPN's NFL guys? I thought I remember someone saying that Mort or Schefter was the one who started it.

To be fair, just because someone issues a statement doesn't mean you ignore it. How many statements did Nick Saban issue that he had no interest in the Alabama job?

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Back to the basic premise---SBT not posting updates on the coaching search. I went to the site about midnight last night before going to bed, then just checked in about 15 minutes ago and they still have NOTHING on the site about the reported Kelly interview today or even what's really going on with Jim Harbaugh.

What am I missing here (other than the news)?

8. Your last statement is rings too with so many coaches and openings, beside Saban.

9. noodles

noodles Member

Maybe just a piss-poor internet site. They may want to get on the ball on this one, eh?

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

To an enormous extent, literally going back to Rockne.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

Bobby Petrino, come on down.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm not even 30, and I still remember my first few J-school classes, and the teachers telling us "everything other than your byline needs a second source."

Now? Yeah, not so much, apparently...

Draft saved Draft deleted