1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SBT coverage of Notre Dame search

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Dec 4, 2009.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

The new standard.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I know of at least one newsroom boss who told a room full of copy editors we were obsolete because of this very reason.

That's when I started sending out resumes.

3. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

If I hear that "post it, we can fix it later" shit one more time, I'm not responsible for my actions. Then again, I think I've said that before. *sigh*

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Is that a serious question?

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I was wondering that too, macdaddy.

Apparently noodles doesn't know his geography that well.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I used to read the SBT all the time for ND news, but then Jeff Carroll left and the coverage is not on the same level that it was.

Just one person's opinion.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Here's the latest---ESPN's Joe Schad reported about six hours ago that Kelly has an interview tomorrow, and now I"ve also heard on local ESPN radio affiliate that Jim Harbaugh is probaly going to get an interview as well.

But I just went to the SBT home page and all I can see about ND are the Clausen/tate declare for the NFL story and some generic Charlie Weis piece that has been there since yesterday.

This is not a case of criticizing the SBT for not publishing innuendo, runmors, etc. even if they source that stuff----there is stuff happening out there that they don't even acknowledge.

This is what I mean by the local paper of a major university being totally asleep at the wheel.

What, they want me to wait until tomorrow to buy the print edition to read that sort of thing???!!! OK, no problem, I"ll just jump into my car at about 9 tonight and drive all night to South bend to pick up a copy and hope there are still some left in the rack.

This is ridiculous.

8. noodles

noodles Member

Fellas, nothing wrong with my geography. I read both Chicago papers and the Chicago Tribune's coverage of ND is ahead of the Sun-Times. I believe the Stoops rumor was started and then carried by Brain Hanley, who had covered exactly zero ND football games, practices, press conferences this year. Didn't even know he knew where campus was before the Weis firing presser last week.

Might want to follow those two sports sections before commenting next time, guys.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

Actually, he's been covering Notre Dame this year. And he's not a guy who blindly throws stuff against the wall. For the record, no, I'm not Brian.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Notre Dame is irrelevant. If pounding on pots and pans makes a toddler a drummer, then Notre Dame is still important. That's all that's going on here, just a bunch of noise and racket that just pisses most people off. Odds are that Notre Dame is going to bed with one of its top two choices -- a guy from Cincinnati or a guy from Northwestern. Wow. Notre Dame rules college football.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Thought this was at least tangentially related to the subject at hand: Bluegraysky's "Anatomy of a rumor" about how a rumor that Brett Bielema was going to be considered fro the ND job got started:
    http://bluegraysky.blogspot.com/2009_12_01_archive.html#7014119063071457519

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

And Ohio State's coach was hired from Youngstown State.....

Draft saved Draft deleted