1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SBT coverage of Notre Dame search

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Dec 4, 2009.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I've been going to the South Bend Tribune website a few times daily to get updates on the Notre Dame coach search, and there's hardly anything there. Just a few stories growing moss. It's like they don't care.

In this day and age, there is room for posting rumors and reports from other media, provided you cite whoever is reporting them---something, anything, to keep eyeballs, right?

How does this compare to what other hometown papers have done with local schools in same situation?

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They're too busy filling out forms explaining how they've spent every hour of their time the past week.
    (God, I hope that inane policy has expired.)

3. clutchcargo

Who's pinhead idea was that?

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

3:57 p.m.: Had to fill out my hours form, instead of posting information about the Notre Dame coaching search.

4:57 p.m.: Finished hours report. Heading home, so I won't get yelled at by the publisher for getting overtime. Might have time for Notre Dame story tomorrow, but have to make time for the daily hour report.

5. really? rumors? this is what we should report? i think this "anything to feed the beast" approach winds up being irresponsible.

6. noodles

noodles Member

If I had to choose between nothing and some of the stuff that's been reported, I'm going with the SBT.

On Saturday, Bob Stoops issued a freakin' statement that said he would not be the next coach at Notre Dame. But that sure didn't stop the Chicago Sun-Times (how are they relevant to covering anything that happens at ND?) from saying Stoops might be announced as early as Sunday. Huh??

What's wrong with the journalism world today? The last week offers a pretty good indication. All rumor, no fact, but let's run with it any way. Ugh!

7. The Sun Times did take down the report, after Notre Dame issued a statement saying they were not that close to hiring a coach.

These coaching interviews, searches and hires, IMO, lead to the worst and most irresponsible sports reporting in the biz.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's only become worse in the Internet age, with the rush to get it up NOW NOW NOW FIRST FIRST FIRST.

I was actually asked once, in a very loud voice: WHY ISN'T THAT POSTED YET?
    Well, we're trying to make sure it is right.
    POST IT, WE CAN FIX IT LATER.

Seriously.

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Actually Clutch, this may also have to do with a crappy website. I'm a local, subscribe to the SBT (yeah, I know....you're happy for me) & feel like they've done a really nice job covering this. As a "lay person", at least....which is who I'd think they'd want to appeal to. Eric Hansen, in particular.

They've broken down the "suspects", reported the most (seemingly) credible rumors, ran the denials. Given some good, even handed analysis....at least until (IMO) this morning, when Al Lesar decided to single out Kirk Herbstreit for calling ND "irrelevant"....even though countless other columns have said the same thing, since Charlie was canned. But, again, that's just my take. I'm just a guy with a paper box, out by my curb.

In a community where ND does a KGB like job of "controlling the message" (kept the image of their institution, as well as their athletes, pristine) , I think they've done pretty well. Just my .02

10. clutchcargo

What Layman says about Herbstreit and others calling Notre Dame "irrelevant" makes me laugh.

I suppose it's fair to say that if you have a dozen or so so-called journalists saying Notre Dame is irrelevant, the fact they all are making such a big deal out of it is in itself proof that maybe Notre Dame is not irrelevant.

11. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Clutch, you're absolutely correct. I just thought it was interesting that he chose to single out Herbstreit.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Heard that before, too. Made me sick.

Draft saved Draft deleted