1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB XLI Commercial Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Coke had a variety of commercials. The one that was dedicated to Black History Month was solid, although how come the last item mentioned was MLK's I Have a Dream Speech? Has there not been anything significant since the 1960s? I thought for sure they'd even plug Dungy and Smith coaching in the Super Bowl with as much that has been made of it.

The dog commercial was a good one at the party I attended.

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Did I miss the commercial where "JP" was supposed to propose to his girlfriend? I'm not ashamed to say I was actually kind of looking forward to that one.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I haven't read through this thread because I am too lazy, but I am posting what I posted on another thread that was a big failure:

I really liked the Bud Light one where they were slapping each other and the Chad Johnson one with Janet Reno was pretty damn funny. I also enjoyed the office worker ones when, like lemmings, they were tossing themselves off the cliff.

But for the most part, a pretty lame year for commercials.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I liked the Coca-Cola one with the cartoon factory. But I missed most commercials. For the most part, I flipped between the game and the Natural on CMT, later between the game and Old School on ABC.

5. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I really liked Coke's takeoff on Grand-Theft Auto. Oprah-Letterman was the best. I must be alone on not liking the Blockbuster mouse commercial. I thought the animation was unappealing.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I liked the GTA commercial, too. Thing is, I saw it two months ago when I saw "We Are Marshall" so that one never struck me as a new commercial. Ditto Coke's Black History Month, which I saw at the theatres, too.

You're not alone on the Blockbuster ad, though.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Bud's dog spot was good.
    The GM Robot spot was a waste of 2.7 mil

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The Coke ad where the guy put the coin in the slot and all the crazy stuff happened was old as well. That annoyed med. It seemed like we were seeing a lot of old ads.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So GM's laying off robots now?

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the dog commercial, the Taco Bell lions (especially the second one) and the first Doritos spot.

11. Msaint

Msaint Member

One of many not to read the entire thread, but the best 10 seconds of the night in my opinion was Oprah and Letterman. As for actual ads, only CareerBuilder succeeded in being smart, funny, strategic and, best of all, didn't pander to the lowest common denominator of humor the way Bud Light does to an insufferable degree (though the Hitchhiker one was funny, I thought). And not sure what it is but I liked the bizarro Emerald Nuts track record that continued with [WillFerrell]Goooouuuu-laaaayyyy!"[/WillFerrell].

Agree...VERY weak year.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And the commercial which made the most impact on viewers apparently was ...

Grand Theft Auto: Nice City.

http://news.com.com/Who+really+won+during+the+Super+Bowl/2100-1008_3-6156330.html?tag=nefd.lede

Draft saved Draft deleted