1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB Sun's Paul Oberjuerge rips on Christine Daniels' appearance as a woman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 25, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://www.sbsun.com/blogs/inthiscorner

Anyway, Christine had been mostly a rumor. Out of men's clothes ... but not out on the job.

That changed over the past 10 days. We were at the Beckham introductory thing at Home Depot Center ... and were heading upstairs for the small-scale interviews in the suites ... when I spotted a very large woman ahead of me ... and it struck me, "Whoa. That's Mike Penner. Christine."

Anyway, I feel bad for the guy/girl. From what little I've seen of the blog he/she is doing, she (I'm gonna try to stick with the female thing now) seems quite happy. Buoyant, even. Massively relieved to be living as a woman. And that's fine.

But ...

I hate to be judgmental about these things, but Christine is not an attractive woman. Which probably isn't a surprise when you're 50 and have spent your in-the-world life as a fairly drab guy. Who has a fairly prominent Adam's apple (not all of us do) ... Who also isn't exactly petite. Maybe 6-1, 200?

So ... she looks like a guy in a dress, pretty much. Except anyone paying any attention isn't going to be fooled -- as some people are by veteran transvestites.

Another guy in the business was sitting near me when "Chris" wobbled by on her mid-size heels, and she demurely said hello to this other guy, who is about the same age as the two of us. And this guy said, "Hey, Mike ... uh, Christine." He was embarrassed because he wanted to get it right, but he didn't. Christine said something like, "Some habits are hard to break." She was kind about it.

The thing is, and maybe this is cruel, but there were women in that room who were born women in body as well as soul. And the difference between them and Christine was, in my mind, fairly stark.

It seemed almost as we're all going along with someone's dress-up role playing ... and I assume it's far more important than that inside this person's head. But it's going to take a while for the Average Joes among us to get our minds around this. And I've got to assume Christine understands that.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sorry, poin.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/44727/

3. poindexter

SportsJournalists.com's poindexter DB's Christine Daniels' appearance as a woman

4. C'mon poin. How could you not know a thread called "Is this a fireable offense" was about Daniels?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

poindexter is a better headline writer, though

6. IU90

IU90 Member

Another argument in favor of specific thread titles. Shouldn't have to open and read every thread to determine if there's a DB.

7. poindexter

I assumed that was something related to boots' workday, and moved on.

8. Well played, sir

Draft saved Draft deleted