1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB Nation special project

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by Glenn Stout, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Some of you may already be aware of this but over the next few months I will be acquiring sports writing content for an as yet untitled special project for SB Nation.com scheduled to appear in September. I will be looking for the same kind of stories I look for as Series Editor of The Best American Sports Writing: stories that, after I read them once, I want to read again. I hope to help to create a place where writers feel their work is valued and respected and to attract readers who love writing.

I look forward to hearing from freelance writers with original ideas for features, profiles, commentaries and columns, personal essays and memoirs, investigative stories, etc. Pay will be competitive but vary depending on the scope of the story and experience of the writer. If you have an idea for a story you've wanted to write, or would just like to discuss the possibilities, I'd like to hear from you at glennstout@fairpoint.net . Please, no PMs on SportsJournalists.com.

To be absolutely clear this I an entirely separate enterprise from BASW, for which I continue to serve as series editor. Nor does it represent a conflict of interest. Like other series editors, I have always been free to work for other outlets (and have freelanced for a number of publications) and our guest editors have nearly always been affiliated with a publication. I strive to remain impartial and I don’t expect that to change. Anyone who wishes to submit work for BASW may do so according to the standard guidelines that appear each year in the book and on my website, glennstout.net.

FYI SB Nation is a top 10 internet sports publisher and the fastest growing one on the web, reaching approximately 35 million fans through its national site, SBNation.com and its 320 owned and operated team sites . SB Nation's audience is the top ranked in the sports category for affluence and education level in the 18-34 male demographic. It is part of Vox Media Inc, an independent digital publisher which also runs TheVerge.com and Polygon.com and is well known for empowering its writers with world class storytelling tools and technologies.

2. bbb1978

bbb1978 Member

Glenn,
    I have some ideas out of SoCal, will e-mail you them on Wednesday night or perhaps sooner. They involve Community College FB players and California League single-A minor league baseball players.
    Or perhaps do you want more pro players? Or which kinds of ideas, especially from an area as rich in Sports as southern California? Maybe the new L.A. NFL stadium, where all they need is a team to relocate?

3. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Query by email to glennstout@fairpoint.net as below, and if you don't know how to pitch a story, read this first:
    http://freelance.stanford.edu/reports/pitch/

Briefly tell me about yourself – who you’ve written for and when.

Include some links or attachments to a couple stories so I have a sense of what you can do.

Send me a couple of paragraphs describing the story you want to write, so I have a clear idea what it is about, how you plan to write it and why you are the person to do it.

If there is an element of the story that will make it timely, let me know what that is and when it would be best to appear. Remember, right now I’m looking for stories to appear from September thru December, and that this is for a national, not niche audience. In general, we’re not doing last night’s news or last night's game, but features, profiles, commentaries and columns, personal essays and memoirs, investigative stories, etc.

Approximate length and time frame – when could you have this completed?

When you have something put together like this, feel free to send it to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted