1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB Nation pulls Daniel Holtzclaw longform piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

One thing Grantland and SB Nation Longform have in common: Enterprising-kiling egos.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is awesome. You're getting angry with me for saying a shuttered site might not have had the same influence as other sites that are still in existence that have hundreds -- thousands? -- of times as many readers.

What kind of "influence" do you think Grantland had, exactly?

If you want to go outside those horrible big-number sites, I would say Deadspin, TBL and even Bleacher Report had greater "influence" than Grantland did.

When journalists get mad at people for noting business realities is especially great.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My guess is that the next generation of great sports writers will cite Grantland as a heavy influence on them. I think it's the kind of site that aspiring writers went to and read. You might lament that (as you seem to think the site was crap), but nevertheless I think it's true.

4. LongTimeListener

All righty then. I guess we'll wait 15 years until that "next generation of sports writers" ascends, and then we'll have our answer. Sounds promising!

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It can be true Grantland inspired many sportswriters (God help us all) and was also a gigantic mainstream failure.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

Speaking only about the "inspiring sportswriters" point, then ... what exactly was Grantland doing that isn't being done elsewhere? Deep dive into the NBA is about the most noteworthy thing I can think of, but even that seems to be happening in a lot of places.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Influencing the "next generation of sports writers" means precisely jack and shit in a time when the craft of writing gets devalued more and more with every passing day.

SFIND and LongTimeListener like this.
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This is an actual debate.

This is wonderful.

Riptide, jr/shotglass and Dyno like this.
  9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Anyway, back to this debacle.

One writer got a look at what appears to be a staff memo Glenn sent promoting the story.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Music can now basically be pirated for free. Does that mean aspiring musicians aren't influenced by what they hear? Because the economics are fucked up? I doubt it

ewebeck likes this.
  11. LongTimeListener

DD, Stout was dead-on with "I think people will be talking about this one." Wait, what?

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

"Never loses sight of the fact that women were victimized."

He obviously never read the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted