1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB Nation pulls Daniel Holtzclaw longform piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Hannan story is a fine sight better written. I mean, it was.

SB Nation has published some straight up junk.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Very true, and point well taken.

On writing quality this is probably like that SB Nation piece we discussed here awhile ago about an utterly forgettable high school football game that the writer thought bore some mystical significance. I'm thinking once it hits 7,500 words, SB Nation's editors wave it on through as awesome.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That was halfway (and twice as long as it had to be) towards being an interesting feature. Some decent thesis there about how Holtzclaw might have gone off the rails (CTE, 'roid rage, anger over the earlier-than-he-anticipated ending to his career). But there was absolutely nothing backing up those thesis. Then there's the whole minimizing the fact that A COP, for whom the wheels of justice are always rigged, was found guilty of 18 counts of sexual assault.

In the end, that was a shitshow of historic proportions. At some point someone had to step in and say this wasn't working. But LONGFORM *halos and angels singing* and stuff.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This really stuck out to me as well. The victim shaming was off the charts bad.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Yes, this, a thousand times this. You done fucked up, deleting the Tweets and the links and turning Twitter accounts private ain't gonna fix it. More real bad form by everyone involved.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is excellent and frankly kind in reference to the story in question.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

That was awful. And even before today it wasn't even on the short list of the worst stories there.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Until it's explained I'll withhold judgment on why the story was pulled. It may be that it was never supposed to appear

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Doubtful that was the case. Stout touted it multiple times today.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That seems unlikely. The top editor's note admitted that "senior editorial staff" who did not want the story published were ignored, which means there was a decision to publish.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It may be that it was never cleared to appear by someone in charge — like Spencer Hall, who runs the editorial operations of SB Nation — but Glenn Stout (the SB Nation Longform editor and editor of this specific piece) tweeted out the story several times. And the writer was beginning his twitter victory lap before he realized the rear axel of his car was tied to a steel post.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Correct. Appreciate your insight DD. I'm not sure a capable editor read this, and I'd be absolutely floored if a woman signed off on it. Curious about the red flags that were cited in the editor note and why they weren't addressed adequately.

Draft saved Draft deleted