1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB Nation on Jack Trice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Great read on Jack Trice, who died of (perhaps racially motivated) injuries in a 1923 Iowa State football game and for whom the Cyclones' Stadium is named:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/11/25/7275681/jack-trice-iowa-state-football-profile

Rosengren's a good writer. His book on the Sandy Koufax/Juan Marichal brawl "The Fight of Their Lives" is also excellent.

2. PW2

PW2 Member

I know this has nothing to do with the story you posted, but Koufax did not hit Marichal with a pitch. Rosenboro's throw back to Koufax buzzed him, if I remember correctly. As I understand it, Koufax declined to throw at Marichal when asked to do so.

For some reason, I was thinking that I read a long story about Trice in Sports Illustrated or ESPN: The Magazine a few years ago.

3. Steak Snabler

According to Rosengren's book, Koufax didn't throw at Marichal because there had already been warnings issued after Marichal threw at both Maury Wils and Ron Fairly. So if Koufax had hit Marichal, he'd have been ejected.

That's why Roseboro took matters into his own hands. It wasn't because Koufax was afraid/unwilling to hit Marichal.

4. PW2

PW2 Member

OK, interesting. I was going by what I remember from the MLB Network documentary.

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Enjoyed that. Good read.

Confused, though.

It wasn't full of references to the writer's own angst and experiences, regardless of whether they were relevant.

The only explanation I can come up with is that SB Nation Longform's usual decision makers are already out of the office for the holiday.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

David Davis did something a few months ago: http://deadspin.com/what-baseballs-most-famous-brawl-photo-didnt-show-you-1625569916

7. Steak Snabler

Based on the book I cited above.

Draft saved Draft deleted