1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB Nation gets redesign, longform stories added thanks to Glenn Stout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tonysoprano, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Pretty heavy - most mornings I start out spending 4-5 hours just reading drafts and commenting. For the stories I'm responsible for, I'm the editor - there's a proofreader behind me, but that's it. I like it that way - one stop shopping. My goal, as I've written at times, is to not edit anything into paste, or cardboard. But the job is not just editing - it's also talking and reaching out to writers, considering pitches, negotiating money, making design recommendations, talking story and strategy in advance, directing traffic, etc. I've had two full days off since early July, and am on a 15 hour day right now, but I am enjoying the hell out of the writing/editing end of it. In a funny way it's a relief not to have to think of all the words myself for a change. So far the writers I've worked with seemed to think the process is working. So many have said they've felt they've never really had the opportunity really to work with an editor before, to collaborate with someone on the idea level as a story is being pulled together. I've had the best writing conversations of my life over the last few months - yesterday I talked with - well, i probably shouldn't say, but it was about three hours with three names everyone here would know, the kind of conversations that I dreamed of having when I was a kid and wanted to write and didn't know anyone who did and never thought I would, pinch your arm stuff. Believe me, I'm getting as much out of it as the writers are getting from me - I learn from every story. I try to remember to ask each one to tell me at the end what I could do better, how I could be more useful. And I try to keep in mind we're both just trying to serve the story, and the reader, but end of the day, it's the writers' story - I come at it from that perspective. When we're finished, if you can't stand behind every word, I've failed.

PS: I always have room for good ideas by people who can write. I've learned to say "no" but I won't ever make it impossible for someone to get through and pitch a story.

2. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

PSS: As far as editing of the rest of the site - I'm not involved with that, but know they are gearing up across the board. They - er - we, know we have work to do - that's a process. SB Nation Longform is trying to set an example of what is possible for the site.

3. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

That sounds like an incredible work day, Glenn.

Also, thanks for the proper link. Figured there had to be something on the site.

4. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Big story up today, Leander Schaerlaeckens with the definitve story on the coming out of professional soccer player David Testo.

Draft saved Draft deleted