1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB Nation gets redesign, longform stories added thanks to Glenn Stout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tonysoprano, Sep 25, 2012.

1. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Just saw it all today. Now, never was a huge fan of the site, but I've got to say personally I think it's a slick new look and it caught my eye seeing they got Glenn Stout to work on a project that adds some high quality longer stories like the one on Al Rosen. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I took a look. Meh.

3. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I'm not a regular SBNation reader but from what I have seen of the site I'd say it's at least a notch and a half better than Bleacher.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I love SB Nation. Two of the five-or-so funniest sports writers around write for SB Nation: Jon Bois and Spencer Hall. Several of their bloggers, led by Hall, have written wonderful long-form features for SB Nation, prior to Stout's arrival. They weren't common, but they were often given great play.

The new site will take time to grow on me. It connects the various community blogs much better, but I'm not sure that's a good thing for the reader experience. It seems too formal for the content. I love SB Nation's goofiness. That's how I identify it and why I visit every day.

I realized the other day that I've visited Yahoo Sports much less since its dramatic redesign, which pushes news to below the scroll. CBS Sports' redesign, on the other hand, was a clear success in my opinion, and I've turned there for sports coverage much more frequently in the past month.

I'm going to give SB Nation's new look a shot, but I may soon find myself bookmarking the author pages for Hall and Bois and finding their work but ignoring most of the site.

5. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Give Longform a couple weeks guys: Mike Mooney, Pat Jordan and some BASW worthy stuff coming up. More here: http://worldberound.tumblr.com/post/32191118058/interview-glenn-stout-talks-about-new-sbnation-site

6. silent_h

silent_h Member

I personally love the new look -- wish I could appropriate the template for my website -- and Glenn will be shepherding pieces from some great writers. I hope it's a great success.

7. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Maaan, that new layout made me want to apply for a job. It's how sports content should be presented. It makes great use of the space, and steps away from the e-zine templates or the faux-ESPN look. It isn't overly complex like Deadspin. Or an eyesore like Fox Sports. The site wasn't a top spot to visit before, but the new design might keep me clicking around for good content longer.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hear hear. I read so many fantastic essays every week that originate from SB Nation or its affiliated sites. Beyond the Box Score, for instance, is one of my favorite sites.

Obviously, there's a lot of crap, too. Not as much as Bleacher Report or Examiner, but more than, say, Yahoo (although Yahoo has a TON of crap if you count its "Contributor Network".) But that's true of just about every site.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Speaking of which, Yahoo columns are absolutely worthless to me when I'm trying to read them through the Twitter or Echofon apps — which is how I read most stories these days.

Passan and Wetzel's columns, which I used to read religiously (and would still like to do), barely show up after all the design razzle-dazzle gets done loading and I have to scroll past the banners and photo. I have to scroll down multiple times just to read the lede.

10. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Does the Longform work have its own page? Glenn wrote somewhere sometime that it will be SBNation.com/Longform, but that link is invalid right now and there are no hints on the front page as to where the stories might be. Neither of the first two stories links to the other. Am I looking past something obvious? Or is there really no dedicated space for these stories on the site right now?

11. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

http://www.sbnation.com/sb-nation-longform-features

My mistake in haste in a twitter post I think. Story by Mike Mooney went up yesterday, a powerul story by Leander Schaerlaeckens due later tonite, next week Pat Jordan, Mark Kram and more.

Longform stories are linked on the SB Nation front page - scroll down.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What's your editing workflow? Is it more or less you alone? As much as I like SB Nation, the errors all over the site and its affiliated blogs are obvious.

Draft saved Draft deleted