1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB Nation Eyes Expansion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by derwood, Dec 11, 2010.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

2. CRR13

CRR13 Member

I know you think this is interesting, but did you really need to post it twice?
  3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Oops. Internet issues. Mods please delete one of them.
  4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have a friend who writes for SB Nation. I can't help the feeling that's it's really far below him. But at least it's a paycheck, I guess.

It just looks...cheap.
  5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've gotten to know someone who writes for SB Nation. He's pretty good, and the stuff he does is OK. It's better than Bleacher Report, but so is my cat's yackings. I wouldn't say it looks cheap, but it's still pretty exploitative of the writers, even with the "stipend."
  6. ETN814

ETN814 Member

They're becoming pretty legit. The guy who blogs about the Celtics is credentialed for games and holds his own in the locker room.
  7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Odd. Last time I held my own in the locker room, they revoked my credential.

... wait, what?
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I imagine that like a lot of outlets, you'll have pockets of people who do a really good job. I suppose the key telling point will be whether SB Nation rewards and/or promotes those people, or just lets them keep toiling away until they're snatched by a better outlet.
  9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, my friend is very legit. Been a longtime writer on the beat he holds now, for much larger outlets than SB Nation until the mass layoffs that hit the field.

His talent is well above SB Nation, to me.
  10. Susan Slusser

Susan Slusser Member

I've ripped BR so much on here, I should say for fairness' sake that I think SB Nation does a very nice job most of the time.
Draft saved Draft deleted