1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB loss transformative for Pats?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Don't forget about:

-- Inevitable blowup of Randy Moss.

-- Whatever videotape this Matt Walsh fella has horded.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I guess Wojo is overreacting, too:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3228923&sportCat=nfl

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Why, because the linebackers are on the other side of 35 and the secondary outside of Samuel (gone) and Harrison is roughly mediocre.

Look at the last ten weeks of the season and tell me that a loss wasn't possible. Those guys busted their asses for as best they could in the second half of the season when the offense slowed down, but they can't be expected to play this well for another season.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They'll be in the playoffs again next year and they may very well return to the Super Bowl and win it. But they will never, ever, come close to 19-0 again.

And they will remember that for the rest of their lives.

5. They don't "deserve" perfection?
    WTF does that mean?

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If only this Super Bowl would prove to be transformative for sportswriting.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The Pats will never use that Number 7 pick. Given that the biggest needs are linebacker and secondary, and with Laurinaitis not coming out, they'll trade down, unless Chris Long or Darren McFadden is still around (unlikely).
    There are no top 10-worthy DBs or LBs out there.

8. I'm sure Seau is done, but Vrabel is fine and Adalius is obviously fine. I'm sure Bruschi can continue to platoon. They'll need to add depth but revamp is a bit dramatic for what is their best defensive unit.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think it means that while they lost by three, thereby it being a game they could have won, they weren't the best team on the field yesterday, and for that reason didn't deserve to complete a perfect season.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was kind of thinking the same thing. It's almost like the end of the Yankees dynasty in 2001. The Yankees are still good, but no longer invincible like they were during their title years.
    I kind of think this takes a little bit of the edge away from the Patriots.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

They were :35 away from going 19-0. And if it wasn't for one of the most amazing plays in SB history, they do go 19-0. THey are guanteed at least 5 wins in that weak ass division. I'm no Pats fan, but I think talk of their demise is a bit premature.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

If you've covered a pro team from camps to champs, you know how hard it is to win it all, even for the best teams. The Patriots couldn't muster 35 seconds' effort to secure sports immortality. It's just the tip of the iceberg.

Draft saved Draft deleted