1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB loss transformative for Pats?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Feb 4, 2008.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked -- shocked, I tell you -- if this doesn't mark the Pats' slide from the mountaintop. Consider:

-- The aligning of the stars needed to go 18-0 makes the Super Bowl loss into a hangover guaranteed to last into next season

-- Aging players on defense with no one to step up

-- Belichick facing possible suspension for videotaping

-- Nothing lasts forever, especially in the NFL

Am I wrong?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Super Bowl losers have come back the next year and have not done well. That and losing that first round draft pick because of Spy Gate may not bode too well for the Pats, at least in 2008.

We'll see where that leads for 2009, however.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

You're right. The Bills, Jets and Dolphins were thatclose to the Patriots this year, already.

Jesus, they finished 18-and-fucking-1. And damn near finished 19-0. Let's see where Moss is playing next year before we've got them being Bears 2K8.

4. Aren't you going a bit far? One or two plays difference and no one would be talking about the end of the Patriots' dominance. You're acting like they didn't go 18-0 prior to this game.

I'm glad they lost, but I'm not much into hyperbole.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm sure they won't be able to get anyone good with their first pick ... No. 7 overall.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Look, I can't stand the Patriots either. But to think they're just going to disappear is ridiculous. Especially in that division.

7. ... and especially how adept they are in the free agent market and draft. They can reload just like that ...

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Tom Brady remains the best QB in the league, so the Patriots will be just fine.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Well they have the No. 7 pick to start the re-tooling.

Asante Samuel is a free agent in the offseason and I'm guessing he'll walk. Obviously Randy Moss will need to be signed again as well.

Otherwise, a franchise QB, a solid running back and offensive line (probably not as good as they played this year, but still among the best). Wide Receivers are good without Moss and terrific with him.

Defensively they need to retool. The front three is great. Adalius Thomas is damn good and Rodney Harrison can still play ball despite being a roided, cheap-shot scumbag.

The linebackers and other areas of the secondary need to be revamped.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Not saying they'll disappear, but that they'll come back to the pack.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Kind of by default, wouldn't you say?

12. Why? They only gave up 17 points. It was the offense and coaching staff that failed them in the Super Bowl.

People are making way too much of this loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted