1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saying you're sorry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, Dec 29, 2007.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Apologizing is good, appropriate and mature. But it doesn't put the toothpaste back in the tube. The thing you did was still wrong, and sorry isn't a magic wand that makes everything all better. Recovering from a mistake is a process. Treating the people well from here is about all you can do.

2. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Time to invest in a good pair of kneepads.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You to huh? The only person I cared about that saw what I posted accepted my apology and the deleted post and we were good.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

honest question: do you even work in this business? i've never heard a journalist refer to anybody as a "higher-up."

5. I know a guy who disparaged his editor in a blog.

His life at that paper sucked until he left. Gotta be smart about that stuff, homes.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hah ... Arnold said "toothpaste" and it took Angola a little over a half-hour to respond ... and his repsonse was "You to huh? ... ;D

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're not sorry that you wrote it, you're just sorry they found out.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not much else you can do but apologize, Jake. Go and sin no more. The others here are spot on. Learn from it. And here's what you learn: Always assume everything you post on the internet, regardless of the forum, will be seen by people you don't want to see it.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

apologize. if the target doesn't accept the apology, that's not your problem. not everyone will like you. some people will despise you. that's fine.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A mentor's wife says we're all assholes someday and today is clearly your day.

He says the apology means nothing if its only purpose is to undo damage you did to yourself, it means just a little if you're disappointed only because you expect better of yourself and don't like people seeing you that way, and it means something more when you regret the pain you caused someone else. This man is not the most pleasant fellow I've met -- known him for 16 years -- but I do think he strives to not be half-assed about anything. I can't say I'm always at stage 3, but sometimes I can recognize that and work toward it.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

WWYD?

[​IMG]

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm not understanding the Weatherford Courthouse reference.

Draft saved Draft deleted