1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saying hi to famous people

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jul 19, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder if John Carroll Lynch was penciled in as a regular for The Glades, but once the ABC show got picked up they had to get rid of him in the first episode.

I've always wondered when they shoot cable series. Broadcast is usually Late July to late March/early April. Typically a six-week lead-time. But I watch cable shows (especially those filmed in NY) and I can't tell if it's spring or fall. I figure Royal Pains is filmed in the fall so they can use the vacant houses.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

just snap pictures, people (famous or not) love that

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I once waved to BYH when he was being ejected from the press facilities at Shea Stadium. He tried to flip me off, but the goons had a pretty good grip on his arms.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If there are two people on the planet who look like Simon Baker, I think I'm in trouble.
    My wife LOOOVES Simon Baker.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was in a hotel in New Orleans for a wedding several years ago and Sydney Pollack was sitting there reading a script.

As we were leaving, I walked over and said, "I don't want to bother you, but I just wanted to say I'm a huge fan. He asked which of his films I liked the best and I said, "Well, Tootsie, obviously, but I was always fascinated by Absence of Malice." and I told him I was a journalist. He asked me to sit down and we talked about that film and others for about 20 minutes. I actually was the one who had to cut the conversation short because I had to get to a rehearsal dinner.

He was so gracious. I expected him to nod and let me go on my way, but it was such a great experience to get to share a conversation with someone like him. This was about a year and a half before he died.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When I was in college I went to the Super Bowl media day as a fan, and I tried to stop everyone I could. Chris Berman was an absolute asshole [no surprise right] and Johny Clayton was really cool. He had reporters lining up to talk to him and he stopped to talk to my buddy and I about Joey Harrington. His prediction was completely off [said Joey Ball Game would stay in Detroit, shortly thereafter he was let go] but he was a really cool dude.

Also ran into Roy Williams in Miami a few years ago. We waited 'till he was done with dinner and took a picture. I suppose it helped that one of us had a Lions shirt on and that our table was next to him.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That is way cool. And kudos to you for knowing he'd directed Absence Of Malice.
    I knew him for many other films but didn't realize that was one of his.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good thing you did not have Roy take the picture. He would have dropped the camera.

I saw Mike Lupica the other day at Starbucks. He was having trouble reaching for a sugar packet for his ice tea so I helped him. Resisted to urge to introduce myself.
    See Paul Simon now and then- have always wanted to ask him what was behind Sounds of Silence but have not found right moment.

Ran into Ralph Lauren getting into his $200,000 Ferrari. Asked him why they discontinued some Cargo slacks I happen to like. Seemed to catch his interest - told me they would be back in the fall. He was a bit flustered as he set off his car alarm and then could not turn it off. His wife happened to be there and just looked at me and rolled her eyes.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if I'd answered anything else, he would have politely nodded and I would have been on my way. He was very surprised at my answer.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So you gave him a boost?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if I told this on here. A few months ago, I was waiting in a Starbucks for someone and I went to grab a napkin and Chris Noth was standing there putting milk in his coffee. I typically feel awkward about talking to people I don't know, but I decided to go for it because I was looking right at him. So I said hi, told him my name and said I was a fan. He looked at me like he was trying to decide if I was going to bury an ice pick in his neck, before he said thanks. I don't think I will be saying hi to anyone famous again anytime soon.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Had a chat with John Lithgow at the Toronto airport a few years ago.

Some of you may heard this before but it's still funny.

This happened about twenty five years or so ago.

My bookstore partner and I were having breakfast at our local place that also sold KFC when in walks the Colonel, Yeah, that Colonel. He had a daughter who lived nearby and he was up for a vist.

We started chatting with him and at one point my partner asked him what advice he gave to his new franchisees.

His response: "Don't fuck with the recipe"

Draft saved Draft deleted