1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saying hi to famous people

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'm at a bar and Simon Baker, star of The Mentalist and my favorite movie, A Devil Weara Prada (don't ask), is here.
    I don't want to interrupt him, but it's cool to say hi when one of us leaves, right?
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Touch him for me.
  3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bad touch or good touch?
  4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Ijag, if he asks nice, I might give him a nice touch. He looks kinda homeless right now. If I get a pic I'll post it.
  5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If he's alone, buy him a drink. If not, leave him alone, although you can try to steal his used napkin to sell on eBay.
  6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is that the Italian version?
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My personal rule for famous people is if you genuinely like their work - why not let them know if you can do it non-intrusively. I sent an e-mail to The Chicken when I heard he was thinking of retiring - and he sent me an e-mail back.
    Another time I was in Kihei, Maui at a bar called JoJos or CoCos or something - a couple people got all excited when Melissa Rivers showed up with a group of friends. And no, I didn't give a shit.
  8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You sent The Chicken an email.

Elaborate, please.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I read a story saying he might retire The Chicken suit. I found his website and said I wanted to thank him for adding a lot of enjoyment to the game of baseball, more than many who are in the Hall of Fame, and I wished him well. Ted replied and thanked me for the note and said he figured he would just cut back his schedule. It's not like he's a 20-year old kid any more.
  10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but you told, so now we have to punish you.
  11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How old is he now? He's got to be damn near 60.
  12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, someone's stereotypical rendering of the Italian version[/crossthread]
Draft saved Draft deleted