1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saying goodbye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Nov 7, 2008.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I had to say goodbye to one of my oldest friends in the business this afternoon. It was someone with whom I shared drinks, jokes and office space for years. Once upon a time, he hired me, getting me out of a job I didn't really like anymore.

Today he picked up his briefcase and walked out of the office for the last time. I'll see him again of course, but my job here will be much more difficult, and way less fun than before.

I'm not looking for any sympathy for me, or least of all for him. He's glad to be going. It just sucks that this business has come to the point where hard-working people who make a difference and love their jobs would rather leave than hang around for the next "retrenchment."

Anyway, goodbye, and thanks.

That's all.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

In the last four months, I've watched friend after friend pack up a desk.
    I never want to hear the unfolding of boxes and the crackling of packaging tape again.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. Hope he's happy outside of this hellhole of a business run by complete and absolute morons. Hey newspaper owners: How bout making all these "editors" who go to the 10 a.m. meetings actually change their job descriptions and produce some copy and/or headlines. Oh I know you'd rather keep them fat and happy, fire your reporters and please the shareholders. Keep a cutting staff.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Get used to it. It might not be the first time you experience something like this.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've been in this profession for more than 17 years.
    After the 12th or 13th "voluntary and involuntary separation," I lost count. It's one of the things in life -- I've learned -- never, ever gets easier.
    I read memo after memo from editor and publisher after each round of cuts. They all promulgate "moving forward." What they don't realize, it's impossible when always looking over your shoulder.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sorry to hear it, old pal. So much has changed since I worked there with ya...

Draft saved Draft deleted