1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Say it ain't so, Super Joe!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 16, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Former Rookie of the Year Joe Charboneau supposedly got into a bar fight and now his job as parks and rec baseball director in suburban Cleveland is in jeopardy!

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/01/super_joe_charboneaus_future_a.html

Maybe he tried to open a beer bottle with some other guy's eye socket?

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Bob Hamelin said Charboneau's rookie season was a fluke, so he decked him.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Bartender wouldn't take his Sacagawea coins.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pat Listach had to break up the fight.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Curt Blefary farts in their general direction.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

7. I'm calling bullshit.
    Joe prolly got his assed kicked he had to step away from the guy to re-set himself after each punch.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How many people have owned a town the way Charboneau owned Cleveland that year?

His trail after that took him to a minor league outpost not far from me. I was going to ride up and spend a couple days, do a big story. I called a bunch of people in Cleveland, like the DJ who wrote that song about him (did Super Joe come from that song?). Got some great stuff.
    Then some drug report came out and his name was on someone's list and he was told not to talk to anyone. So I never did the story.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

To answer your question: Mark Fidrych and Al Hrabosky, to name two.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

That is a great question. I'd throw in probably Jim McMahon in 85, Namath in 68 ( but that is probably outside what you are getting at) and Gerry McNamara owning his hometown of Scranton while he was at Syracuse. There were better athletes from that area before him, but he was (and probably still is) treated like royalty.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

They used to call Fred Hoiberg "the Mayor" of Ames, Iowa. Danny Manning could walk into the middle of a Lawrence, Kan., city council meeting and take a piss and everyone there would shake his hand and thank him for coming.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted