1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

say it ain't so - rip: king of the hill

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Nov 1, 2008.

1. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I honestly didn't realize this show was still on. That said, I always liked it and thought it was hilarious.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I thought it should have been cancelled about five years ago.

3. I love KOTH. One of my Top 3 favorite shows of all-time. But KOTH suffered a steep decline after Season 8. In Seasons 9-10, the show had a handful of solid episodes, but otherwise, the show had lost what had made it great. And the last three seasons have been pitiful; I've read that Mike Judge had wanted to end it a long time ago and was just mailing in the last few seasons. Judge is the only writer on staff who was there for the show's glory days. If you notice, the show really went downhill---pardon the pun---when Greg Daniels left to develop The Office and took many of the KOTH writers with him. I've wanted this show to end for awhile, if only because I watch KOTH in syndication and I hate that the later seasons are shown with the same, if not more, frequency than Seasons 1-8.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

GOO, that's one reason why I said what I did.

Also, I believe it'd be better to pull a Barry Sanders and leave while you're still at the top of your game than hang on long after you've lost your fastball (see Robinson, Eddie; Grambling).

If KOTH had ended when it was still consistently putting out strong episodes, it would likely be remembered as a great show that had something to say about the human condition. If it leaves after having five years of mail-it-in episodes dotted with the occasional spark of genius, it would do so with people wondering what happened to a formerly great show.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's one of the first episodes. I used to love it, but lost interest over the years.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I always liked the show, but it went downhill for me when they had Luann marry Lucky (or whatever his name is).

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's my first memory of the show.

8. Great point, Hank. The whole show was about how Hank wasn't a redneck---he had this old-fashioned view of what everything, including his country and his son, should be, that contrasted with what he actually saw happening. But he would always reconcile those opposing forces and realize what was important. Lucky was an unabashed redneck, which went against the point that served as the show's primary message.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

jealous!

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wait ... Didn't Lucky die?

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

No, that was Buckley.

Draft saved Draft deleted