1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Say it ain't so, Joe!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Joe Morgan is a Ford Frick finalist. What, Hawk Harrelson and Rick Sutcliffe aren't sexy picks?

^BC-BBO--Frick Award,0143
    ^Nuxhall, King, Morgan added to ballot for Hall of Fame's Frick Award
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Former Cincinnati Reds pitcher and radio announcer Joe Nuxhall, who died last month, will join Oakland's Bill King and ESPN's Joe Morgan on the ballot for the 2008 Ford C. Frick Award, given annually by the Baseball Hall of Fame for excellence in baseball broadcasting.
    The three were selected through online voting at the Hall's Web site.
    Also on the ballot are Tom Cheek, Ken Coleman, Dizzy Dean, Tony Kubek, Graham McNamee, Dave Niehaus and Dave Van Horne, who were selected by the Hall's research committee.
    The winner will be announced Feb. 19 and honored during induction weekend July 25-28 at the Cooperstown, N.Y., shrine.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am sure Joe will recall in his eventual induction speech, how he broadcast every World Series from 1959-2007 while playing in 15 of them carrying the Big Red Machine and Astros on his back....

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jesus Christ. If he gets in, that's a bigger travesty than anything the Vets Committee ever did.

Which of course would be a big giant fucking super sundae sized version of irony, because when ol' Joe was the self-appointed spokesperson of the Vets Committee, he wouldn't let anyone in.

Let us hope that sentiment, as well as resume, is enough to nudge the ol' lefthander past the ol' pile of shit.

Otherwise, I vote for an SportsJournalists.com trip to Cooperstown in which we all turn our backs when Morgan speaks.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm in.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm a diehard Reds fan, and even I would throw up a little in my mouth if Morgan got this award. Especially after Nuxie, a great man and good broadcaster.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

The biggest problem with the balloting for that award is that now fans can go on line and vote for every single announcer in the majors.
    You have one year in, you are eligible.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm starting the Len Kasper march tonight! Who's with me?

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'm there. Can we stop by Morgan's house and rough him up a little on the way? :D

Goddamnit, two instances of quote-function related fail in one day. :mad:

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

He's only in the running because Chip Caray told them to fuck off.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hell yes

11. Are you sure this is for the "Ford Frick" and not the "What the Frick Did He Say!" award?

The fact Morgan is even mentioned is appalling.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Kubek deserves it. On the Game of the Week for so long, and of all the analysts that have ever called a game, he and Steve Stone are the only ones I've actually learned something from during a broadcast.

That said, Nuxhall or King -- I enjoyed both guys -- will probably get it.

Draft saved Draft deleted