1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Say it ain't so Aquafina.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Nothing new here. And the water's not gonna kill you. It's the same water that goes into your soda.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yeah, anybody on these boards who wasn't already aware of this needs to seriously think about another job. This has been a pretty well-known fact for years.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That was my first reaction upon hearing this story this morning. I always figured that all water that didn't say it was "spring water" was from a city-type source.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When I lived in pristine northern Wisconsin, I filled a two-gallon jug of tap water and put it in my fridge when needed.

Now that I don't live among the pines, I buy my drinking water. I actually prefer it over spring water. Spring water tastes soapy to me.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

"This is Ohio. If you're not drinking a brewski you may as well be wearing a skirt."

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

What about Smart Water? Please don't tell me Smart Water is just regular water. It can't be. I feel so much smarter after drinking it.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Once again ... the sneaky kind ... Well done.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I've never bought a bottle of water (or taken one from the press box) thinking it's from some exotic source. It's water and that's what I want, not soda, which is too sweet and sticky. I just want a drink of water and fountains seem to be scarce these days.

I'm all for refilling a bottle from a tap, but when that isn't available, I'll pay for a fresh bottle. Hydration, people.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Nice for you to stereotype the homeless there.

I remember an episode of the Golden Girls got the household to taste water she wanted to market. They marveled, she said great, it's from the faucet, we're rich.

I've never bought a bottle of water except when I was in India, where you can't even brush your teeth with tap water.

Bottled water is tap water without fluoride, always has been.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

As with Aquafina and Dasani, what occurs is the purchasing and further filtering of tap water. This is then bottled and sold. So, there is an additional amount of filtering that occurs, but it is coming from the same source that your tap water is coming from.

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention that Penn and Teller's Bullshit on Showtime had an episode on this. They setup a NYC restaurant as a water paradise and charged $5 per glass for it. In the back they were using a hose to fill up the bottle. They then slapped a bunch of odd labels on the bottles and had some story about where it came from. It was rather entertaining.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I drink Dasani and that's not going to change anytime soon. Keep er coming ;D

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Fuckabuncha bottled water ... http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/117/features-message-in-a-bottle.html

Draft saved Draft deleted