1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Say goodbye to the Fighting Sioux

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 14, 2009.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hopefully this isn't a d_b, but it sounds as if North Dakota will be changing its nickname because one of the two Sioux tribes in the state won't go along with the name, or allow a vote of the tribe to see if it's offensive.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=704642&catid=2
    http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/118527/

What's the alternative? The Fighting Flickertails? The Peace Gardeners? The Highway(2)men? The Fighting 180-degree Sunsets? The UND Wind Chill?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That royally sucks. All in the name of political correctness bullcrap.

What's next? No more Seminoles or Illini. The NCAA really goes off the deep end on some of these matters.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Membership in the Summit League will no doubt follow. South Dakota has already been added in the last couple of months joining NDSU and SDSU.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How about the Fighting Sue?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Brilliant!!!

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The men's teams can be the Fighting Boys Named Sue.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Gophers fans have been calling them that for decades.

As to the decision, UND has known this was coming for at least a decade. Time to deal with it.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Sioux long!

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think going D-I was a bad move for NDSU and would be equally poor for North Dakota, especially in football, where they are a powerhouse in D-II.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's not a choice. They're already D-I in hockey, so the NCAA wants them to go to D-I in everything.

And it was a great move for NDSU. They played in the NCAA basketball tournament this year. And everyone they used to play is going to end up D-I, so it's really not much of a choice. NDSU and SDSU were smart to get ahead of the curve.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Crazy Horse was my gran'father!

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The should become the University of North Dakota Cavalry, considering the state's history with that outfit of the Army.

Draft saved Draft deleted