1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Say goodbye to Curtis Martin, officially.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jul 24, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2947121

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Examples of these posts include, but are not limited to: Starting a thread where the body is just a link (offer your opinion, some substance, etc., not just a link)

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Great trivia question: Who is the fourth leading rusher in NFL history?

Great career.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

In a league populated by Michael Vick, Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson and Chris Henry, Curtis Martin was a ray of light. A very good running back who was an even better person. The league is lesser today because of his retirement.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He wasn't flashy, he wasn't stunning... he just went out and worked... wish more athletes would do that...

6. Anyone who has 70 posts in one day is looking for trouble, Slappy.

I'll bet he'll come back on here and post that Curtis Martin lost all the cartilage in his knee because the Jets are owned by a white man who forced him to sprint to the end zone when he could have just fallen down and preserved himself.

And Hockeybeat: Vick, Pacman, Tank and Henry are all bro's! Why can't you think of any white examples?

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

And he was a stand-up guy, win or lose.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Didn't Patrick Kearny get busted during the off-season?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Mark Chmura got busted back in the day.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Any high school player's parent who worries about facilities inhibiting their little angel's development should take a good look at the ill-kept dump of a practice field at Allderdice High School. That's one of the things that popped into my head when I saw the place. He was an obscure player on a struggling team and yet he still got his shot. He was a starter by his redshirt freshman year.

I also remember a college career mostly ruined by injuries. Once in a while he would be healthy enough to play and you could see the speed, balance, vision and determination that made him such a good back in the NFL. It still amazes me that he turned into such a durable pro after spending so many of his days at Pitt in the trainer's room.

Hope he enjoys the heck out of retirement.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

a star who never, ever, big-timed anyone, from what i ever saw. don't know of anyone who has a negative thing to say about curtis. pretty amazing in this day and age. 8) 8) 8)

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hall of Fame player and person. Such a good guy he probably won't even state the obvious, that Herm Edwards ruined what was left of his career by riding him like a two dollar whore in 2004 and, particularly, 2005, when Curtis was hurt from the opening kickoff yet played well over half a season anyway for a team that was skidding to 4-12.

Draft saved Draft deleted