1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Say good-bye, Gen. Pace

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Mar 12, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs says gays are "immoral" and should not be in the military

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070313/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/military_gays

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Well, he is sort of toeing the party line, no?

This guy should, however, be fired for totally closing his eyes to reality the last four years. He's about as close as our military has to a Baghdad Bob. Sunshine and lollipops, that's what this war's been about, according to Peter Pace.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What a remarkably stupid comment for him to make.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

When this issue first moved to the front burner during the beginning of the Clinton administration, I noticed that in most of the cases I read about where somebody was discharged for being gay, the service member who was discharged had been doing a good job and received nothing but favorable evaluations.
    I'm sure there were a few chronic fuckups who were also discharged because they were gay and if they weren't booted out for being gay, would have been kicked out for being fuckups, but it seems kind of self-defeating to get rid of people who are doing a good job.
    In a time when the military needs all the good people it can get, it doesn't make sense to get rid of highly competent soldiers.

5. I'm shocked.

6. Shoot.
    There goes Mary Cheney's chance to serve.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

General Pace ... coming soon to a rehab center near you ...

8. trounced

trounced Active Member

Why is it a stupid comment? It's true. I guess he's just supposed to lie.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thus sayeth trounced, whose compassionate conservatism bathes us all in his warming light.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Off the moral gobbledygook for a second. Given the military's difficulty in retaining personnel (requiring second and third tours from Guardsmen and further killing recruiting), and the fact that gay members served in a number of valuable specialties (including languages, translation, etc.) where they are tough to replace, can our military AFFORD don't ask don't tell, let along the JCS chairman going Ann Coulter on us? How can the military just cavalierly turn away a group of people willing to serve?
    All I know is, if I'm leading a platoon in Afghanistan and there's one guy that can converse with the locals in Pashtu, I don' give a flying bleep which team he plays for.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

My point exactly.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And if you do feel it is immoral, what of it?

If a soldier sleeps with a prostitute, do you kick him out of the army?

How about if someone takes the name of the Lord in vain? Dishonorable discharge on the spot?

I really fail to see why if you consider homosexuality immoral or a sin, it is so much worse than behavior that you would readily accept or at least tolerate in straight people.

Draft saved Draft deleted