1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Say Fred, hear the one about the Jew, the Catholic and the colored women who go golfing..."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 24, 2018.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I lived in York for three years. It was around the time the mayor was arrested ... on charges related to the shooting death of a black woman in 1969. He was a cop then and accused of giving the shooters the ammo used in the fatal shot.

Jury Acquits Ex-York, Pa., Mayor in '69 Killing of Black Woman

Go to some of the small villages in York County and you’ll still see the stars and bars. I think York was the largest union city occupied by the confederates during the war of northern aggression.

The Boston Globe did a series on York and its race issues last year. The headline is misleading; nothing changed, it’s always been a breeding ground for this stuff.

A year after Trump's election, York, Pa., is forever changed - The Boston Globe

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. Sounds like a nice place .... for white folk.

Stay Classy Pennsyltucky!

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Meh. It's not as if York County has a car on every other porch.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I lived in what I’d consider a nice neighborhood, and there still were a couple houses that had cars on cement blocks out front.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And I live in northern York County, and we don't have a cement block within shouting distance. Every place has its Hanovers.

I'd agree with you and BYM and even Orville if it was a valid generalization. But there's a lot to York County, and places where it's very nice. Just like everywhere else.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You’re misunderstanding me. I love York. Spent some formative years there in my early 20s. It was culture shock at first, but I grew to embrace the slower pace of life.

There also was an undercurrent of racism then, and apparently now. I feel like that intensified the further south you went. I think of northern York County (up past Lewisberry or so) more as an extension of Harrisburg than York city — and there is a difference, even though the cities are just 25 minutes apart.

Done with the south central Pennsylvania thread jack.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Gettysburg is still awesome.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I went to York once in college. Friend and I stayed at his father's house en route to Manhattan for spring break.
    We had just written a batch of songs, were planning to start a band and thought we'd spend spring break playing our songs in Washington Square Park.
    En route, one night in York.
    Got drunk, smoked pot, played guitar and watched 'Enter the Dragon' on laser disc.

That's all I got.

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted