1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saxotech

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by HackyMcHack, Sep 17, 2008.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Anyone out there have experience with this front-end system, especially versions that use InDesign?

2. jps

jps Active Member

a little ... what's up?

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah what do you need man? I've worked with the content management system at a couple of rags so I actually know a thing or two about it.

4. jps

jps Active Member

was it as prone to crashing every night about 45 minutes to deadline at those places as it was at the shops where I used it, m?

5. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Just curious as to its ease of use, how prone it is to crashing and the other ins and outs of the system. We're switching to it soon, and I just wanted to get a heads-up.

6. jps

jps Active Member

I think it is as good as any other ... it did crash on me often, but everything I've ever used, eventually, starts to get bugs here and there. you figure out what you do that makes it crash and you avoid doing those things, ya know?

as far as ease of use ... I seem to recall being able to transition pretty well. depends on what you are coming from as to how close it is. but anyone that's pretty good with computers and that will be able to pick it up pretty quickly. it's pretty intuitive, really.

one of the nice things about it, I thought, was the fact that the page designer can throw it on the page and the dude running the desk can use a layout view to see what it actually looks like on the page. this helps in lots of ways, including suggested heds, cutting a story that winds up five lines too long for the hole left, etc.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm just learning a little design now, and my shop uses saxo. I think it's pretty convenient, but I have no idea what it would be like to adjust to because it seems different from any other system I've seen. I especially like how you're able to see the page (as jps said) and work with different elements (local story, wire story, wire photo, local photo, page etc.) out of one program.

8. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

And it also doesn't let you post stories to the web on a Saturday night when you want to make it to the bars in time. But as soon as last call hits, in inevitably begins working again.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've had it crash, or lock up once in a while, but nothing really ever got lost. Files were saved, and after refreshing I could be logged back in. And never on deadline. I don't find it that bad.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I need help connecting an article in Saxotech to a PDF file.

It's a registration form for a big event in town so I simply can't recreate the file in word and copy paste.

Does anyone know how to do this?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

figured it out guys thanks. In case anyone else is wondering, go inside the story, click the connections tab, click on assests, change the asset to whatever file type you want PDF, MP3, MOV... etc.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wasn't Charlie Parker a saxotech?

Draft saved Draft deleted