1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SaxoTech

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kevin Price, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Kevin Price

Kevin Price New Member

Did a search and couldn't find anything.

We are having a demonstration on SaxoTech system tomorrow.

Any scouting reports out there?

thanks

2. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

A few possibly useful items came up when I did a google search.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Saxopress&btnG=Google+Search

I had experience on it at a small daily in the South a few years ago. In theory, a good system, but like everything it had its flaws. I remember one small thing that could go wrong. When in Quark, the system had a mechanism that would do jumps and you would have to sometimes do it manually. A positive, you could look at page previews and check out the progress. All in all, it's OK.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I use it. PM me.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Worked with it for three years in the early '00s. Frustrating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy. Best feature is that you can work on the file in whatever word processing system you use, and it automatically updates on the page (although I guess a lot of systems do that now. It seemed pretty cool then.).

5. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Use and like it. I thought it was pretty easy to learn, and there are some neat features. It keeps things together so you aren't looking all over for pictures, stories and pages.

6. jps

jps Active Member

not much to add ... but, yes, an easy system once you get the hang of it. and, really, didn't take that long to figure out - pretty intuitive, actually.

7. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Used their system for posting stories at my last paper. Had nothing but problems.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Don't get me fuckin' started on this one...

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We use this system to post stories to the web. Seems easy enough, but there's a lot of little quirks that have yet to be ironed out.

How else can this system be used?

10. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

SaxoTech has a product that manages stories and "layouts" for a print product in addition to its online adminstrator.
    Our newsroom began using the print-management system 18 months ago while switching to InDesign and InCopy. We were able to customize some features during the process, and the system works well for us. Thumbs up.
    We began using the Web administration system about three weeks ago, and we still are ironing out some issues.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Creating and arranging photo galleries, podcasts, videos. Putting special packages together. It is your muli-purpose website organizer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should wander over to our internet department sometime.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted