1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sawx hawk attacks!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 3, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I liked how Inky immediately blamed the photog, as if Falconry is a past time for him.

2. KoM

KoM Member

I read where they had to remove a nest with an egg in it after the attack. I'll go on record as saying letting a mother bird of prey nest and lay an egg where people are near by is not a real good idea.

When I was a kid I got too close to a big owl's nest in our barn and it swooped me. It was at dusk and scaring the crap outta me.

Of course, I'm against allowing any birds to nest in the rafters of stadiums because they crap on people. I'm pretty sure hawks shit in sizeable quantities, and I'd be pissed to get hit and probably more so if it crapped in my beer!

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I've told this story before here _ one spring and summer I had a red-tailed hawk who decided the deck of my third-floor apartment would be a perfect place to perch every day.

He pretty much scared away, or dined on, every squirrel in the neighborhood. He also had the tendency to swoop at the apartment manager's dachshunds when she would take them out for a walk (he was never in attack mode, he would just fly over them a couple of times to see what they were).

I sent an e-mail to the local Department of Natural Resources guy who said we couldn't do anything because the hawk was a protected species. He said eventually the hawk would move on.

I never had a problem with him sitting there, it was kind of fascinating having him around. For the most part, he would just sit on my deck, survey the area, then fly around for a while. It got to the point where he was even sleeping out there, but eventually he moved on.

Only once did he take a crap out there. It looked like someone had tossed a can of white house paint on the deck.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I spend quite a bit of time in the woods, so I understand how wild animals behave. You sneak up behind one to innocently snap some photos and the animal will move away once it realizes you're there.

And I said "I wonder ..." meaning "We'll never know if the bird would have attacked the girl anyway, but that's the first thing I thought about when seeing the photo."

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

"Ironically, the student's name -- Alexa Rodriguez -- bears an eerie similarity to that of the star third baseman for the Yankees, Alex Rodriguez. And the student's age, 13, is the same number A-Rod wears."

It's not just a similarity, it's an eerie one. And GREAT catch about the age/number similarity, even if it apparently isn't as eerie.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Very weird.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

True story.

A couple of years back I was walking on 67th Avenue and Madison here in NYC one evening and saw this huge bird swoop down and catch this rat the size of a kitten and carry the shit off into Central Park where it obviously lived.

I was freaked out yet awed by NYC's perverted version of nature.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I look for snopes to snuff this out. The girl's real name was probably Joshina Buckett.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was just busting your chops, Inky. No offense meant. I was hammered, too, so perhaps it came across harsher than I meant it.

10. Inky_Wretch

No worries.

We need a drunk smilie or icon we could use when posting under the influence. It would clear up a lot of these situations.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If that's the case, I could just be like Pastor and post all the time in drunk font.

12. Inky_Wretch

He can't help it, he's soccer fan. It's what we do.

Draft saved Draft deleted