1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saw The Dark Knight last night...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So for the premiere you'll break out your Robin costume, complete with green short shorts? :D

2. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

How did you figure out my secret plan?! I even had the matching stockings!

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Did you SEE my name!? I know everything that goes on in the Batcave.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

BTW, Batpup looks very apathetic about his costume.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Of course it is possible, but I guarantee some will never even give it a chance because it is based on a comic.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Movies based on books tend to do well.
    Movies based on comic books tend not to do well.
    I don't think many would disagree.
    Why is the argument.
    I think it might have more to do with comic book movies being based on iconic, well-established characters and they tend not to come with surprises.
    I think those who vote on awards, tend to like movies where they don't have a real sense of what is about to happen next.
    With a Superman movie, or a Batman movie. Those movies tend to stick to an already established character bible. You don't see character development or things happen outside the established norms.
    Look at Ironman. What happened in that movie was a modernized version of his origin.
    What made the critics go gaga was how Downey pulled it off.
    How his real-life persona modeled his portrayal of Stark.
    You look at past cartoons or graphic novels and they tend to stick to established script.
    If they vary from that, then the fanboys go nuts. If they don't vary from it, they get little to no love from the awards.
    So it is it better for a superhero movie to be a critical success or a financial success?
    I think with movies that have the possibility to be a franchise, the film companies would rather have financial success.

7. DarkTower

DarkTower New Member

Ledger may be That Dude, but he'll never be Jack Nicholson. "Where'd he get all those toys?" Nicholson can't be topped as the Joker. The first Batman was exactly what all Batman movies should be - over-the-top, goofy, but cool.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nicholson's Joker has aged really, really badly (as have all the Burton/Schumacher Batman movies). He played the Joker the same way Hackman played Lex Luthor in the Superman movies -- as a bad standup comedian.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Nicholson was awful.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Much as I love a lot of Nicholson's work, I could not disagree more. Batman Begins was far superior to the Batman movie with Nicholson and Michael Keaton. Over-the-top and goofy gets old really fast.

I would have loved to see what a young Jack Nicholson would have done with a better script. He was tremendous in doing what was asked of him and once upon a time I think he would have nailed a darker role like the one we all expect from Ledger's Joker.

I guess we'll see for sure in a few weeks.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Don't confuse Batman with Superman.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Who is the Joker? He's an evil villian who couldn't make it as a stand-up comic.

While I agree that the first Batman movie hasn't aged well, it was (and is) over-the-top on purpose. IT'S A COMIC BOOK MOVIE, not a movie based on a comic book (does that make sense?). Hell, Batman reignited the genre. Hell, Batman the movie started genre. I wouldn't say Superman did. I'm a big fan of Jack and his performance will always hold a special place in my heart. That movie is campy and it's not by mistake. Batman Begins and Dark Knight are a grittier, "real world" version of the comic book. Those two movies are shooting for realism. Burton's first two movies weren't.

Draft saved Draft deleted