1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saw The Dark Knight last night...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jun 27, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, but how many people even knew those were based on comics?

I think a comic book icon like Batman or the Hulk is a little different.

Not that it makes sense. It is stupid that some people can't get past the source of the material and simply appreciate it on its merits.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I see your point, of course. I'm kinda surprised many people don't know that Wanted is based off a comic book. Speaking of which, I need to dig those issues back up. The movie is a lot different plot-wise from the book. I don't remember a Loom of Fate in the book ... but it has been years since I've read it.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hell, I'm a comic book geek and I didn't know that A History of Violence was based on a comic book when it came out. And with movies like that, the studios sure aren't going to push that fact. They want the adult audience and some adults just won't see anything that they know is based on a comic book.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Have you seen Rescue Dawn? Doing your own stunts carried arguably to the point of pathology. Don't know if many directors besides Herzog would have let him do those.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Considering such intellectual masterpieces as "Forrest Gump," "Titanic" and "Gladiator" have won Best Picture, it's hilarious if the voters get snooty about "artistic legitimacy" and refuse to vote for movies based on comic books.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

This movie has Spiderman 3 written all over it (as in I doubt it could meet my expectations), but damn if I'm not going to be there opening night.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There were clues in the run-up to SM 3 that it was going to be a comparative dud -- too many villains jammed into the storyline, stars and director supposedly losing interest -- so that one was no big surprise to me. (In fact, I still haven't seen it -- waiting for the DVD).

I'm not going to battle the crowds the first weekend -- I'll catch a daytime show the next week.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm not sure it will garner any award wins since it's being released in summer.

My bet is the adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's The Road will be incredibly tough to beat. Haven't seen a trailer on it yet (it comes out in November), but I have a hunch it will strike a nerve.

9. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I'm camping outside the King of Prussia IMAX Thursday night, July 17. I wonder what's the over/under on people showing up wearing Joker make-up.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is it possible that this movie will not be nominated, yet that lack of a nomination might not be the result of anti-comic book bias?
    Is it possible that someone might not like this movie, yet not be snooty?

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Counting you?

12. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

How'd ya like that softball I tossed ya?

I actually will not be donning the white & green that day. Just Oct. 31st.

Draft saved Draft deleted