1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saw The Dark Knight last night...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Perhaps the obvious question, then, is why don't they measure movies by tickets sold instead of box office receipts??

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, you're right. The $900 million is Titanic, the $1.2 billion is for the original Star Wars.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I think it's so industry types can talk about how much a movie made or didn't in relation to its budget.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

But as movie fans, should we not applaud a film that is able to do so well so fast while also still being enjoyable for the masses?

Yes, ticket prices are higher. Yes, there hasn't been a true competitor to the Dark Knight (though I still contend it's gone against better flicks than Titanic thus far). Yes, it is not nearly as epic as Titanic nor has it left the kind of legacy Star Wars has.

But the whole point of reading into box office numbers is to, on some level, compare the best recent films with the best films in memory.

No one is saying money=greatness. Shit, look at how movies like The Shawshank Redemption (arguably the best flick of the 90's) did in mass release (it took home $28 million total).

All I'm saying is that the movie should be commended for its run thus far. That's all. Nothing more.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

DVD details are starting to hit the net.

For those of you interested, it looks like The Dark Knight is going to have FIVE editions available for purchase on either December 2nd or 9th with a regular two-disc version, a Blu-Ray version, a steelbook version and two special collector's edition cases (the first in the mold of Batman's mask and the second in a special Batpod container).

Here's the link : http://www.joblo.com/excl-the-tdk-dvds

For what it's worth, I like the cover of the Blu-Ray (below), but I really wish they had gone with a Joker-themed DVD cover. Of course, this is the net, so it could be changed.

[​IMG]

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Your blu-ray cover isn't showing up.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll still watch the last hour.

The first two hours? No.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

TDK doing as well as it has is incredible, considering Titanic was aimed to get women into the theater, knowing the men would be there for the iceberg strike and sinking.

TDK is pretty much an adrenaline-fest that traditionally skews toward pulling mostly males in.

Draft saved Draft deleted