1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saw: Part V

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Oct 13, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I saw another preview for "Saw V" and noticed that we've yet to have a thread to discuss it.

Anyone got any hunches on this one? I'm usually not the one for bloody, gore movies, but the past four have all been impressive movies and I'm really excited for this one.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Re: Saw V

Expect most people here to say "Oh, those movies suck" without having actually watched them, but here's my take...

I stopped taking them seriously after Part III went and ruined some of the series' coolest concepts to me (especially the ending to part 1), but was pleasantly surprised that Part IV didn't suck as bad as it could have. I doubt I'll go see any other installments of this in the theater, but will definately check it out once it hits Netflix.

As for this film, I hope they make a clear cut successor to Jigsaw. I really do. I feel the motives behind the violence, and the extent to which the victims get the choice as to whether they live or die, can make a great series if done right. Here's hopin.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Saw V

Sorry this was a review of the Jim Valvano story

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I've seen all of these movies in the theater, and I still have no idea why. Always a fan of horror movies, I still remember the first time I saw the trailer for the original. It gave me chills. The movie itself was all right.

Having seen all the sequels, I couldn't tell you anything about them. They all just kind of run together and could be based on Jane Austen novels for all I know. However, I still admire the skill that goes into making some of those games. Very inventive.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd expect some criticism over the tagline "WWJD" -- What would Jigsaw do? -- which is an obvious play on What would Jesus do?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

The original Saw was really good, made even better by Cary Elwes' hideous acting and the great twist ending.

Saw II was pretty good, albeit with the twist ending that anyone who saw Saw I could have seen coming a mile away.

Saw III almost made me throw up it was so over-the-top and exploitative and disgusting. I like good bloody horror movies and that one was about two seconds away from being too much for me (specifically the part where that drunk driver was having his bones crushed). Good ending though.

Haven't seen Saw IV yet, but I anticipate it'll be disgusting. I'll still see it soon and maybe I'll see Saw V if I can sneak into a theatre for an old-fashioned 2-for-1 deal (holy crap a Saw V commercial as I type...WWJD, pretty funny). I can't imagine there's much left to do in the series, even though I read Tobin Bell is signed for up to seven or eight movies.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

All utter crap after the first one, except for the ending of Saw II.

Loved the original. It wasn't just exploitive torture scenes. For the most part, the games Jigsaw made people play were simplistic yet maniacal. The victims could just sit there, do nothing, and die eventually rather than be gored and tortured to death like in the later movies.

I remember reading that they rushed Saw II into development because of the success of the first. So they took a script for another movie and built Saw II around it. Basically everything that happens in that house was a different movie that was adapted to a Saw movie, and they built the Jigsaw stuff around it.

James Wan and Leigh Wannell found a gold mine when they created Saw. But it looks like they used up all their ideas right off the bat, considering Death Sentence and Dead Silence followed.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Series should have ended at three.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Death Sentance was the most shocking revenge film I've ever seen and I thought it wasn't half bad.

10. Saw I was brilliant. II sucked. III and IV were both OK.
    I have read they are going to do more of Jigsaw's backstory in V and VI. That could be interesting.

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I thought they already covered his backstory in the one of the sequels? Something about some hot girlfriend getting knocked up and then rubbed out by some junkie.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I think that was Part IV. His wife or girlfriend, can't remember, was pregnant and got whacked by some junkie and she ended up having a miscarriage.

Draft saved Draft deleted