1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saw Iron Man last night

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Apr 29, 2008.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What great f'ing fun!

Wittiest script in a blockbuster comic movie ever (although the storyline is lame). Fantastic visuals (I only wish Favreau could make Transformers 2 because he really knows how to get all Popular Mechanic-y with the build-a-robot visuals) and damn if Gwyneth doesn't look hot!

$92 million opening weekend (including the just-added Thursday showings. Would be higher but too many kids are spending $60 on GTA IV to go to the movies this weekend).

But word of advice -- if you want to see the movie, don't watch the trailer again. It gives away the best lines.

And whatever you do, don't watch this...

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/wildly_popular_iron_man_trailer

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Just saw it and it was, indeed, awesome. Best way to start the summer movie season since Spiderman 2.

I only hope that those of you who do go see it stick around until after the credits, because trust me, it's one of the most badass endings to a comic book film I've ever seen.

And yes, it is a VERY significant thing to the future of this movie franchise.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I really hate that trend, sticking something significant in the middle of or at the end of the credits.

They count on word of mouth to get people to stay. If you happen to not hear about it, you miss something important.

X-Men: The Last Stand changed a major plot point after the credits. The Dawn of the Dead remake changed the entire ending of the movie during and after the credits. The movie is supposed to end, then roll the credits. Damn sneaky directors.

Edit: Almost forgot. Thanks schiezainc. The heads up is appreciated.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

No problem. And while I generally agree with you, to me, it feels almost like a reward to stick around when something this big is revealed. Trust me, you'll know it when you see it, and I'm glad they put it where they did and not at the "end" of the film. It makes it even more satisfying. :)

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

But has he lost his mind?
    Is he live or is he dead?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

"I AM IRON MAN!"

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I would never, ever have seen this based on the previews. Robert Downey? Third-rate superhero? Are you kidding?

But the sucker is at 94 percent on rottentomatoes.com (unheard of for a big-budget movie), and the reviews are fawning. Sounds like a must-see. I love being surprised when movies I expect nothing out of are great.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is exactly what I think. And I don't care if the approval ratings are 1,000,000 percent. I gave up on Downey after the 19th drug bust got him kicked off Ally McBeal. How the fuck does this guy keep landing on his feet? And, again: A superhero? On what planet?

He made The Pick-Up Artist, OK? He's not that good.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They needed somebody to play an brilliant, arrogant drunk. Tony Stark is supposed to be a very flawed human being who becomes a hero. Downey definitely has the flawed human being part down.

This is the closest thing to a casting no-brainer in a comic book movie since they put Patrick Stewart in Charles' Xavier's wheelchair.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

First of all, jerkoff, you just revealed that you watched All McBeal. Second of all, I know you're the big jaded media cynic and all, but if 95 percent of people who watch movies for a living say it's good, it just might be.

"I don't care if every sportswriter in America says this Jordan guy is good at basketball!"

Dickhead. :D

11. The characters are a lot of fun. I'm a huge IM fan from the comics and they did a good job bringing it to the screen. The plot slows down just a bit in the middle and the best action scene is the opener, but this a million times better than Fantastic Four.

As for the secret ending, I thought it was lame. Aside from seeing Sam Jackson, unless you know Marvel comics, you won't give a crap.

12. I might add the credits roll FOREVER. There was one other geek left in the theater with me and I think he was polishing something.

Draft saved Draft deleted