1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saw Indy Jones 4 today...it ain't no Iron Man!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, May 18, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's dead, now. Funeral's Tuesday.

2. longgone

longgone Member

It's fair. Nothing more. Ben's right about the cinematography. Not in the same class as the other Indys.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm been told the lead cinematographer for the first three didn't do this one. Didn't check on this/names/etc., but it was evident from the first fifteen minutes, and I haven't changed my mind.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Wow, just saw Indy yesterday. Thought it was a decent flick, but considering the franchise, it kinda sucked.
    Too many instances of "are u kidding me," popped into my head, like the nuclear bomb, the swinging from the vines, and i wasn't a fan of the giant fuckn alien.

5. Indiana Jones has:

-Escaped unscatheed from being drug on a gravel road underneath a speeding truck.
    -Outran a careening boulder.
    -Survived bailing on an airplane in an inflatable raft.
    -Been placed in a hypnotic trance by a blood cocktail.
    -Jumped broken tracks in an out-of-control rail cart.
    -Landed a plane with a shot-up wing despite the fact he doesn't know how to land a plane at all.
    -Survived about a million other ridiculous scenarios I can't think of off the top of my head.

Fuck, people. Let it go.
    And yes, I liked it. Not better than Raiders or Crusade, but I liked it.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Caught it today, finally. I love the first and have a deep affection for the third. This one didn't totally suck, but was nowhere near their class. Too much CGI. Plot lines that vanished like the wind. Too much chase and too little mythology. And Shia LaBouf swinging through the jungle with an army of monkeys.
    That said, Harrison Ford, as someone said, can still bring it, and while Karen Allen didn't really have much to do, she at least brought some levity to the occasion. That scene with the ants was really unsettling. And the library scene was very much old Indy.
    One other thing about this one: Unlike Raiders and Last Crusade, which were frantic chases across the globe that gave you a sense of all these different places (a cartoonish sense, perhaps, but still...) this one was very static. Basically three big fight/chase scenes with virtually no sense of place. Didn't make being an "archeologist" seem like such wild globe-trotting fun.

7. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Since this thread got bumped up, I decided to read through it for the heck of it. There's one correction with this. There was a third guy who survived with Ryan and the translator. It was the guy who wanted to quit after the second guy was killed when they attacked the machine gun nest and let go the one German POW.

There's one quick shot when Hanks dies in which they show him alive.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Scanning quickly through this old thread, I am surprised I didn't contribute a couple posts to this when it was hot. I did go see it in the theater, and I didn't think it was all that bad. Certainly, not as good as Raiders or the Last Crusade, but entertaining enough (I still have a negative view of Temple of Doom because all I can think about is Kate Capshaw's annoying-as-hell character).

Of course, looking back, what makes me shake my head about seeing that movie when I did has to do with this thread title. The circumstances: My dad and I were in Downtown Disney that day killing time before we were to attend the Angels game that night. We saw the theater and realized we had time to catch a flick and narrowed the choices to two -- Crystal Skull and, yes, Iron Man.

Of course, we picked Indy, and as I said, we thought it was pretty good. But in retrospect, we definitely made the wrong choice, especially considering the total MCU fanboy I have become.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at how many people actually think the Crystal Skull was good. Part of the issue was the disappointment factor. It was just so much worse than Raiders and The Last Crusade. But even on its own, I didn't care for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted