1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saw Indy Jones 4 today...it ain't no Iron Man!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, May 18, 2008.

1. I was counting house training.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

SPOILER ALERT!

Saw it last night, was laughing my ass of by the end because it was so bad. I mean, aliens? A spaceship? Seriously? It just felt like Lucas had no idea how to end this one and said "Have the aliens fly away, people will still pay to see it."

And when Shia LeBouf was swinging on the vines with the monkeys, I almost walked out. Should have stopped with the Last Crusade, which was my favorite of the first three.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

SPOILERS BELOW.

I really wanted to like this movie. I really did. But Why even bother to have Cate Blanchet in that role if she's unrecognizable and doesn't do much. And while I like Shia Lebeouf, I hated his character. Didn't seem to be anything like Jones or Marion. Hated the prairie dogs too. Hated the predictable "traitor."
    And I "get" that UFO movies in the 50s were seen as parallels with communism fears, that said I still can't make sense of the whole plot.
    Mostly, as I feared, the CGI effects were not kind to the fourth film. Everything looked fake. I don't remember the earlier movies doing that much with special effects, which made the action sequences that much more interesting.
    Would have been more interesting if the Nazis made an appearance, making a jaunt up from Argentina.
    But after reading about the movie on a few websites this movie seemed to be a rush job, spurred on by Spielberg's kid wanting to see another Indy movie and Ford wanting to be in another movie. Just seemed like a movie where the principals said, "good enough."

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I saw it Saturday morning. The overall impression was that I thought it was uneven and seemed as though all involved were just going through the motions.

However, I loved the opening scenes in Nevada -- especially the wide shot of Indy walking up the hill under the mushroom cloud -- and thought that fit well in the series. As for the rest, while I enjoyed seeing Indy and Marion together again and the way they captured the tone of 1950s culture, I just didn't get into it. I would put this as No. 3 in the series far far far ahead of Temple of Doom.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What's worse than the bad CGI?

The sound. There were sound effects from the 1977 Star Wars film in there. Like is ILM that lazy? And the overdubbing was atrocious at times (see Indy's post-blast interview).

I liked the beginning of the film. Up until they re-introduced Jones. That's about it.

Best part of the day? The Dark Knight trailer. Jaw-on-the-floor good.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Saw it today, and found it pretty entertaining. I guess I'm a simpleton gauging from the way some of you have picked this movie apart. One thing that struck me was how much Cate Blanchet looked like Spock. I kept waiting for Shatner to show up. Didn't spoil what I thought was a fun movie though.

Still, if you go into this movie -- or, for that matter, any sequel -- looking for something new and groundbreaking, then I think you're kind of missing the point. It's not intended to be anything other than a funhouse ride. Most of the people in the theatre with me seemed to feel they got their money's worth.

The title of this thread is right, though. Iron Man was definitely better.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Iron Man was 100x better. But this will be no floppity flop -- judging from the crowds I saw, it's going to make a mint. Hopefully that won't embolden them to try to extend the franchise.

SPOILERS

Some of the suspension of belief required was amazing. The one that stood out for me: They go down the third waterfall (all emerging onshore unhurt and five feet apart, natch), then look up to see the big face waterfall thing they need to go into. Next shot, they're walking into the entrance. So, a group of five people with absolutely no equipment, a group that includes a stark raving 75-year-old, somehow suddenly get up a 500-foot cliff face?

Also, can we please, please stop having the goddamn Saving Private Ryan debate? It got old about three incarnations ago, and it's about as likely to lead to agreement as a political thread.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The franchise is coming back at least 2 more times -- the next one with Mutt assuming the main role from his "dad" a la the Last Crusade.

Shia has a 3 movie-deal for the Jones series.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Just got home from seeing it. It wasn't god-awful, but the plot just made absolutely no sense to us.

10. When you say "us," you mean Royals fans, don't you?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, next one is Indiana Jones and the Prune Juice of Tut

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And another thing, yeah, I'll say it, I liked National Treasure 1 AND 2, better. Made about as much sense and less CGI.

Draft saved Draft deleted