1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saw III (10/27)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Errr...you mean Friday the 13th Part 5? :D

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Beej, you hit on something very important there...so much the draw of Saw was the uniqueness of Jigsaw/John Kramer. Once everything was revealed, you sort of felt his pain, sort of understood his bitterness and his desire to teach the world a lesson.

But parts III and IV were simply about finding the most creative and excruciating way to kill people. I don't think that character, in his original concept, was all about that.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1054679/

Well, since this thread was resurrected...Phatasm V coming in 2008.

Though I haven't watched any of them since the original.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

And he gets at that, a little bit, during his dying moments in Saw 3...when he's admonishing Amanda and punishing the doctor for being completely obsessed with revenge. Then again, wasn't the doc willing to take a bullet for the driver who killed his kid? The whole thing didn't make much sense. And given how brutally sadistic Saw 3 was, I'm not willing to bet the writers/producers had the capacity to end the movie with a note of irony.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My wife and I just made the mistake of buying Saw III last week. It was a huge disappointment. They had lots of blood and nothing else. If Saw IV is this bad, they might as well quit. I was so looking forward to III.

6. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Any attempts at irony or in-depth meaning went out the chute after the first film. The last two, especially, are about as subtle as a naked toddler smearing applesauce on the walls.

The traps are designed as the attraction in III and IV. But what the people who took over the franchise (creators Leigh Whannell and James Wan have pretty much bailed) forget is that our imaginations remain the scariest places we can find.

I fell in love with Saw because nothing is scarier to me than being trapped in a room for six hours and slowly contemplating just what I'd be willing to do to survive. I don't need imagination to know how it feels to have your arms, legs and neck broken. I'm guessing it hurts.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

My brother has dragged me to the last two Saw movies and we're planning on going to IV if I can get home for Thanksgiving.

We don't really go because we enjoy them ... I'm not sure why we go.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Because we're suckers.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Blast! I knew that!

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Saw has the potential to be one of the most profitable franchises ever... The movies cost nothing to make (The first one cost $1 million. I don't think any of the sequels have cost more than $10 mil to make) and they're basically guaranteed to make $70-$80 million.

I'll bet they make at least 10... For the record, I've only seen the first two...

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Saw didn't really scare me that much, but the one movie that really did was White Noise. That was pretty fucking freaky.

Draft saved Draft deleted