1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saw III (10/27)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Oct 10, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Phantasm II had the most inexplicably funny trailer ever.

Some lady was looking all relieved and said "Everything is fine now." Then the bad guy appeared and said "NO!!!! IT'S NOT!!!!"

My friends and I laughed all damn summer imitating that guy.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That was some funny shit.

When I was younger, I thought Phantasm II was a good movie. Now, not so much.

Phantasm I was a groundbreaking movie, but it really looks dated now. Phantasm III was a horrid piece of shit, but it's a necessary bridge to IV.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

There are four Phantasm movies? I thought you were making that up. :D

I didn't know there was a Phantasm I when I saw the commercials for Phantasm II. That might be the reason we thought it was so funny: How can you make a sequel to a movie that didn't exist?

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There are four Phantasm movies, and each of them is unique in some fashion.

I is a good movie, but it takes some patience to get through it.

II was clearly made for the box office. That plan failed miserably.

III was a godawful piece of crap. I shudder even to think about it. But it does have some necessary info to bridge the gap between II and IV.

IV was fabulous. I even taped it not long ago, but I never watched it again. After seeing the end, there's no point in watching it, or the others, again.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I still tell my brother sometimes, "No ... it's not!!!"

VERY memorable trailer, if you were in high school back then. Very unmemorable movie, though.

6. Like Leonard Part 6?

[​IMG]

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

One "scary" movie I thought was excellently done was "The Others" with Nicole Kidman. Now maybe it was more "creepy" than scary, but I thought the tone of it was perfect.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I too am not afraid to say I thought "The Blair Witch Project" was a good one. It scared me a bit, and especially the girl I took to see it (she didn't say a word on the drive home). It was a unique idea, and I loved the concept of NO BLOOD! Watch the original Halloween again and tell me if you see any blood. Like I read in a review about Halloween, you feel the movie rather than see it. Couldn't have been put any better.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

BUMP

[spoiler?]

Went and saw Saw III last night.

Easily the worst of the three.

4 better be worth it, and after the ending to III, you know there will be.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

There will be Saws for the foreseeable future, until it stops making fistloads of money. Saw IV is indeed in the planning stages. I read a wire story that refers to Saw as an annual Halloween franchise.

11. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

My brother dragged me to this tonight, just like he did for Saw II when it came out. We go for the bad dialogue and the unintentional humor.

This was way worse than II, to the point that I nearly walked out after about 30 minutes. Not only was this movie bad, but I felt like crap after it was over -- like my senses had been raped or something.

I wanted to give my brain a bath after watching nothing but gore for two hours.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

*bumped 364 days later*

My wife and I just saw (ha!) Saws 2 and 3 tonight (yes, I know, I'm way behind). This is the series that proves correct the theory that each subsequent movie in a series--particularly a horror one--is markedly worse than the original.

Saw 2 was pretty good, but a bit over the top and not as original as the, uhh, original. But I liked how there was a legit connection to Saw. It did feel like a natural continuation, and I still found the Jigsaw to be an incredibly unique serial killer character.

Saw 3? Chef and Ledbetter are bang-on right: It made the first two look like Teletubbies and my senses felt raped. I pride myself on an iron stomach when it comes to horror movies, but this one made my stomach churn numerous times and had me leaning for the bathroom when the drunk driver is being pulled limb from limb (and when the judge is getting covered in pig guts and when he gets his brains blown out and when the doctor's head explodes in the trap). As noted earlier, the beauty in Saw was what you thought and felt was worse than what you saw. There was little of that in Saw 2 and absolutely none of it in Saw 3. It was all just over-the-top gore. I'm not even sure exploitation is the right word for it.

It was so unpleasant I have little interest in seeing Saw 4. Well, that and I can't imagine any way they could make a decent movie after killing off EVERYONE.

Well, there you go. Next up: I review Friday The 13th 4: A New Beginning. :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted