1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Savior of newspapers: "Smart is the new sexy"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Newspapers, albeit generic ones, are already props in most TV shows and movies. And of course you've got the "spinning newspaper to denote big news" cliche. Unless you're talking about actual newspapers getting airtime, but unless it's the New York Times or USA Today, would it help? Having the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette or the Kansas City Star isnt going to do much for moviegoers in Boston or San Diego.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Didn't the Star-Ledger show up in "The Sopranos" all the time?

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Occasionally blood-splattered. You knew it was a fictional series because the splatter wasn't coming from within the newsroom.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They could have zoned editions of television shows.

On Chicago's NBC affiliate, Liz Lemon is reading the Tribune. In Dallas, the Morning-News. And on and on.

I kid.

5. Doubtful that the Trib or DMN circulates at 30 Rock, anyway.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How quickly we all forget: The spinning newspapers at the beginning of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer."

About 45 seconds in at

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

You could have sexy Hollywood stars watch newsreels when they go to the cineplex in their movie, and it wouldn't bring those suckers back either.

We're discussing product placement for newspapers in Hollywood films, but the utes in the audience would be texting each other in real time, laughing at the feeble maneuver.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Nah. They only read it for the articles.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm the only one who read the article, but opening any story with an Aristotle reference always kills....

I guess it could have been worse - like saying newspapers are the cure for PMS.
    I do kind of like the movie idea, but I'd reverse it and compile as many TV an movie references of newspapers, from Snoopy typing on top of his doghouse to All the Presidents Men to real stories of papers and reporters who have made a difference.

PS - the author of the headline below retired this week.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. John

John Well-Known Member

I think we should replace the letters to the editor with Penthouse Forum letters.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And he says that wasn't his best headline: http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/tag/vincent-a-musetto

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

We're assuming Brad Pitt can read? Of course, I guess that's where the acting part comes in :)

Draft saved Draft deleted