1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saving money

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

The only money at this point that I'm putting into my savings account is what gets put in there automatically with the Keep the Change program at Bank of America. For anyone not familiar with it, they round up every purchase on the debit card to the next dollar and put that into the savings account. So, I always make sure that when I fill up my gas tank, I let it go over to say $25.01 so that I get the extra savings. It doesn't add up to much, but it's still something.

The other thing I do is that I never spend a $1 bill. I have a box that is locked (and I've thrown away the key) that has a hole in it. I put all my ones and loose change in there. Once it's full, I get to cut the lock off (and then put a new one back on) and use the money for something special. Like a small trip. The average family (two adults) will save $2000 a year this way. The ex an I used to average about this much, but now that I'm single and it's just me, I am closer to about $350-$400 every 6 months. Still, it's enough for me to do a little something special for myself without cutting into my budget or having to scrimp on bills or food.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Second...job?

3. Bingo.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Another thing. I was determined to still be able to afford my Texans season tickets this year. What I did was look at one thing I could cut out that over the course of 6 months or so would equal the $700 I needed for my tickets. I cut out eating out at lunch and out of the vending machines at work and at school. I spent one week figuring out what I was spending doing that and it came to a cost of at least $25 per week. Now, I buy my chips and other snacks in bulk at the grocery store and make sure that I have leftovers for lunch or make a sandwich. I have been pulling this $25 out ever since in order to have my tickets paid for before the start of football season.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I manage to save on a Peace Corps stipend; it can be done.

Pay yourself first. Have it automatically taken out and put into a savings account if you have to.

Make a budget. Stick to it.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Texans tickets? That's as sick as buying Nationals ticke **** oh wait.

The dollar in the box idea is good. I'm a change saver. When I drew a regular paycheck, I had 10 percent taken off the top. We did our budget on the difference, so we didn't miss that 10 percent.
    When I start drawing more checks, I'll do the same thing.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I knew I would get a little heat for that. But knowing how much you love the nationals, I figured I could stand a little heat for being a Texans fangirl. ;)

8. Moderator1

I saved all year for my two Nationals tickets and then bought two more.
    Yeah, I should be shot.

I actually covered a number of Texans. I'd like to see one of their games.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Read the Millionaire Next Door. Frugality starts from the very beginning.

We have cut back substantially on the eating out (used to do Fri./Sat. nights easy) and it has been a boon.

Suze Orman says start with the big items before getting stuck on the nickels and dimes (although they help.)

10. Moderator1

I'll ponder all this as I dial the Chinese restaurant to get them to bring our dinner.
    Three adults in the house and our best dinner plans always involve asking, "Do they deliver?"

11. jps

jps Active Member

um ... yeah.
    ?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We've tried to cut out on that stuff. Instead of eating out two or three times a week, we'll just cook -- yes, WE -- during the week. It's good that way because it also gives us leftovers for lunch the next day. My work has a great full service cafeteria, but it's way too damn expensive.

This saves us money on dinner and lunch. We still treat ourselves on the weekends to a lunch or dinner somewhere....lately, that's been at the ballpark.

I'm intrigued by the idea of taking 5-10 percent of my checks and having it directly deposited into our savings account.

Draft saved Draft deleted