1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Save the Clock Tower! Save the (Rocky Mountain News)!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If a D-B, sorry. Just thought this merited its own thread.

http://rockymountainnews.chipin.com/the-rocky-mountain-news

Site is accepting donations to "save" the RMN. An interesting idea, but . . . this is like when the hammer fell at my old shop, and THEN the local politicians woke up and said "Gee, what just happened?!?!"

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

$1M is enough? Really?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think I have $20 in quarters in my change bucket. That would push the total so far over $130.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The St. Louis Globe-Democrat rose from the dead outside the JOA after Newhouse dumped it in the mid-1980s. But those were different times. The first new owner went bankrupt, and the second new owner eventually closed the paper for good.

The only thing that saved the Globe-Democrat initially was that the Justice Department forced Newhouse to find a buyer after Newhouse had agreed to fold the paper in exchange for a cut of the Post-Dispatch's future profits. As is the case in Denver and Seattle and Tucson in 2009, continued participation in the JOA was not being offered to prospective new owners in St. Louis. I'm not sure the Justice Dept. could have required that even back then, and it certainly isn't doing that now.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Toronto Sun grew out of the ashes of the Toronto Telegram in 1971. The Tely's final edition came out on a Saturday and the Sun started up two days later with no gap in between - the Tely had never published on Sundays. I think the Sun also maintains the Tely archives.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's at $115 now. They're gonna need more quarters.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I don't know what Colorado's economic development laws or incentives are, but I'd bet the state would be willing to do whatever it could to save the hundreds of jobs and millions in salaries (and tax dollars).

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Channeling Seth Meyers.... good job

Draft saved Draft deleted