1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Save me from Colin Cowherd!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This is somewhat reflective of my opinion. I do listen but in small amounts. He makes points I agree with; others I don't. As noted by someone earlier, Cowherd ignores hockey so he doesn't get a lot of TSL from me.

2. joe

joe Active Member

The best part of ESPN's sports talk radio is when the guy from the Miami Zoo comes on the Dan LeBatard show. Which would you rather fight, 10 1-foot horses or one 10-foot horse?

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I rarely disagree with Cowherd. I think I have twice in listening to him for about 10 years now.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its maybe a pain in the ass for you, but that is why the podcasts are so good. Commercials are seeping into his podcasts as well (as well as the live reads of draft kings, etc), but they can be fast forwarded in seconds. Czaban is really good.

The LA local market is extremely lame, IMO.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

My favorite thing people say as a defense for Cowherd is: "It's hard to host a show solo! YOU try it!" As if the inherent difficulties of a job excuse sweeping generalizations and perpetuating stereotypes. As if — because I personally cannot and am not stupid enough to try to host a nationally syndicated radio show without someone else behind the mic — it makes his inability to grasp even the most graspable argument okay.

It's an act. I understand that. Fine. But I don't have to listen. I don't like sports talk radio all that much, but SVP and Russillo or Dan Patrick or Dan LeBatard are benign enough, self-aware enough to listen to while in traffic. There's no faux outrage. There's some recognition of how absurd the notion of a radio show dedicated to silly games really is.

And there are so many great podcasts that it seems silly to waste time listening to radio.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's sad.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Twice. In 10 years. Your type came in handy in the 1930s and 1940 in a certain European country.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The only thing better than national sports radio talk shows is everything.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Really?

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I enjoy sports talk radio, most of the time.

I prefer Patrick, and Travis Rodgers, Rome's former producer, who does a local show in LA, to Cowherd. Rodgers' show is similar to Rome's, without the shtick.

And I agree with Poin, local LA sports talk mostly sucks, and it's spread out over five all-sport stations.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Travis' show is a good one.

Most people don't realize that every single word that you hear come out of Jim Rome's mouth is scripted. Every. Single. Word.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Phe-NOM-enaaal

Draft saved Draft deleted