1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Save me from Colin Cowherd!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Dec 3, 2014.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I swear at the car radio a whole lot less since I stopped listening to Colin Cowherd and Jim Rome many years ago.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In markets I've lived in recently, Rome has either been on the lowest-rated sports station or nonexistent.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

CC:

Woke up on third base, thought he hit a triple.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I like Cowherd more than many other radio guys, but I can't listen. He is a smart guy and sounds like he knows his stuff, but as noted he makes way too many sweeping generalizations and takes a lot of stances just to be an ass.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a replacement, find a Yahoo Sports Radio affiliate or download Steve Czaban's morning show podcast (it's available minutes after each hour ends from 6-9 a.m. EST).
    Thank me later.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agree. I've listened to Czabe a lot lately. Excellent show. And his podcasts usually post fast. Like, hour 1 will post during hour 2 or 3.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I am not great fan of CC. He is clever and smart, but seems awfully full of himself. Then again, it is talk radio, a haven for those who think they are God's gift to the airwaves.

However, he attended Eastern Washington University, hardly an elite academic institution, and then started working the weekend sports beat at KGW in Portland, a nice market but again not exactly the place to get noticed nationally. I think it's a stretch to say he woke up on third base.

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I don't listen to Cowherd often, but then again I've never listened much to national sports talk radio as a whole. The few times I listened, I didn't think he was especially funny, and there were too many Hanna-Barbera-style cartoon sound effects. But that's just my opinion and preference. I know a number of people who can't get enough of him.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Colin Cowherd is to talk radio what Jerry Seinfeld was to the TV sitcom. The best.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the best approach for me has been to avoid sports radio. Listen to SVP/Russillo and Patrick occasionally, but it's all monotonous pretty much. I like Rome fine, but I just don't care to spend my off time listening to that stuff. I enjoyed Kornheiser for a long time and I like SVP/Russillo because they talk about things other than sports. To me, sports talk radio is boring and/or annoying, unless there's a big event/news story going on. I still watch PTI most days, but that's about it, and only if it's Wilbon and Tony.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Even with a pool of uninspiring choices, this is a bit of a stretch, but to each his own.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Finally got a car with the "magic radio" (Czaban's old term for SiriusXM) and was thrilled to find him again. Only complaint is that they have a ton of commercials. But clearly there's still money to be made in drive-time, so bully for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted