1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Savannah Morning News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by IBIS, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

As far as live music and the arts, my son and his friends at SCAD would disagree with you - and they'd be right. Maybe it's because they're listening to cutting edge music from talented young up-and-comers instead of dusty and moldy old groups. My son has photos of him hanging out with several talented young performers, including Ben Kweller, Regina Skeptor, Maria Taylor and many others. If you're 18-24 and listening to fresh music, Savannah is a wonderful place to be.

2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

It is nowhere near what it used to be.

3. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

Lamar Mundane is entitled to his opinion on Morris, but his thoughts should not be considered gospel. I have worked for Morris for eight years in two different places -- Savannah and with the company bureau in Atlanta -- and make a decent living and am treated well.

Let's cut to the chase here: Morris is a newspaper chain, and in today's climate, all newspaper chains are tight-fisted. I would never decide not to apply for a job in a location I like or a paper I respect just on the basis of the parent company. What happens in Augusta doesn't necessarily happen in Savannah or Athens or Jacksonville. Actually, autonomy of the newspapers is a big deal with the corporate office.

As an applicant, you need to judge for yourself. Talk to the sports editor and the other reporters. Heck, call Tim up and get his take. His number is in the phone book. They have four small colleges in their coverage area and prep sports are big. There's two golf tournaments, a local short track for those with a racing interest and plenty of outdoors activities to cover.

Plus, the town is outstanding. I've lived in the country, the big city, the mountains and in the Caribbean. Savannah is my favorite.

4. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Yeah, if you're an old fart living in the past.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

You may be right, but there are a lot of us that agree with Lamar 100 percent.

6. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

I'll concede one point, the further you get away from the mothership,the better life generally is. Still, in a profession where effort/talent is not rewarded comparable to others, there is no more tight-fisted chain than Morris. Ask folks working in Savannah and Athens whether they feel appreciated by managment.

then decide for yourself.

I'd love to work/live in Savannah but I couldn't afford to live the lifestyle I enjoy away from Morris Comm.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I can vouch for Lamar for the Athens mention. I know several who have worked at the ABH, all very talented, and most left because of the inability to make the paper as good as it could be because of the lack of financial support. One in particular brought the section to a new level and then was expected to keep it there with less staff. How in the hell?

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

5 years at the ABH and tapped out at $23.5. just sayin'. and i was paid more than most reporters in the newsroom

9. Well, $23.50 an hour equates to more than $48K, which ain't bad for covering the GymDawgs. (Of course, methinks that ain't the tax bracket to which you alluded.)

10. John

John Well-Known Member

About 2 1/2 years at the ABH and I think I was making $27.5 when I left.

Put it this way, I got a big raise when I went to Florence.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Is it possible that you weren't worth a damn?

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

considering a make a hell of a lot more now, and when i left, i was told i did great work and worked harder than anyone else there, probably not.

and i'm pretty damn sure there's enough people on here to back that up

Draft saved Draft deleted