1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Savannah Morning News Sports Reporter opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Jun 19, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Don't you have that backward?

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

By Morris, I mean the company that offers its reporters $10/hr at one paper whether they are seasoned or brand new to the business.

3. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

If I'm a young kid, I'm willing to work for a Morris paper, especially Savannah, simply to get my foot in the door. If I'm older, and know better, maybe I take a pass.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Jesus, are there any good companies to work for?

5. John

John Well-Known Member

The number seems to be getting smaller. I have no complaints about the NY Times Co.

6. Clever username

What is so egregious about Morris? I ask in all seriousness.

7. Know people in Spartanburg, SC, which is a Times paper. Some dislike some like. No one loves it.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

In my experience, which is limited to one Morris paper though I'm aware of the happenings at others, the pay is typically poor, as is the leadership.

Given the good things I've heard about the Savannah paper and the number of people that have been there for many years, the SMN appears to be an exception to that rule.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ditto on McClatchy. Damn fine people.

10. I know an editor there who is miserable, says they let reporters do or don't do what they want - which might be a selling point for some writers on here. Also hear that they'll totally ignore some breaking news so that they may enterprise it later or finish the enterprise they're working on.

11. Clever username

Below the standard of living for the area?

12. Clever username

I was starting to think McClatchy was the only one.

Draft saved Draft deleted