1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sausage Casing Girls - Letting it all hang out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'm going to sound like Ann Landers here, but...

Men often wear clothes that are too big. Women often wear clothes that are too small. Both would look better in clothes that fit.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I shop plus size stores where, as near as I can tell, the sizes have not changed in the last 20 years.  I like to dress in clothing that is comfortable and loose but try and find shirts that don't cling or aren't cut above the hips.  It's getting ridiculous.  I wear a size 22/24 and this summer have 2 pairs of pants and 2 shirts that fit and that I like.  I have spent hours shopping and can't find anything that isn't for either a teenager or somebody's maiden aunt.  

This wasn't always true.  I used to find a lot of great stuff that was flattering but not this year.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Best rule for always looking classy, regardless of size or age:

Show shape, or skin, but not both.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My sister mocks me for refusing to wear much beyond jeans, khakis and t-shirts. The current fashions are impossible for somebody with my shape to wear. I feel terribly exposed and trashy with most tops that I find these days. I know the t-shirts with obnoxious sayings are a bit young for me, but at least I don't feel like a hooker in them.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Here's my problem. While I'm a big guy -- 6', 250 -- I have a somewhat athletic shape. By that, I mean the difference between my chest and my waist is about eight inches.

For the "average" man, the drop is about 5-6 inches.

Because of this, all of my shirts (except for the few athletic fit shirts I can find in big sizes) look awfully damn blousy on me. But, I need to buy those sizes in order for the shirts to fit right in the neck and sleeves. As guys should know, it can be miserable to wear a shirt that doesn't fit right in the neck or sleeves.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For a minute I thought the thread title was "Sausage Chasing Girls."

In which case I was prepared to go Andy Roddick on the ho's.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It is way easier being a man. I actually dress the same way I did 15 years ago. Same kinds of clothes, same colors. If you're a man, a button down, solid-colored polo shirt doesn't seem to ever go out of style, nor does a pair of levis. Or solid colored T shirts or a colllared polo shirt. Even my Chuck Taylors are the same as they were 25 years ago (although I have recently loaded up on pairs of the slip-on low cut ones without laces. Really comfortable and easy to slip on and off).

I did my once-every-two-decades shopping excursion recently, and it took me forever to find a normal pair of Levis. First pair I tried on, the waist sat so far down that it left half my butt crack showing. I tried another pair, and they gave ridiculous new meaning to the words "relaxed fit." I could have hidden a volkswagon in each leg. I just wanted a normal pair of sit-at-my-waist, taper-normally-down-my-leg pair of jeans. Too much to ask for? After trying four pairs, I found the "regular fit" stack of pants (which was collecting dust). Shocker, eh? At least they aren't doing the chick trick of trying to convince me that I now wear a size 26 waist, when nothing has changed.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There goes dinner.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hahaha, Ragu. I actually love the fact that guys' jeans are low cut and flared legged now. I can wear them again without looking like I raided my much larger brother's closet. I'm relatively sure that I own more guys' jeans than women's. They just fit me better.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I would rather see a man in a shirt that's too big than too tight <shiver>.

If you're not doing an Under Armour ad, save it for your girlfriend/wife.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I accidentally tried on a few pairs of those, without realizing that is what they were. They technically fit my body, but there was no way I was pulling that look off. I felt like the Bruno character from the Ali G show.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No one will ever convince me that a women's butt looks better in those low-rise piece o' crap jeans than they would in a pair of men's 501s. A men's normal jeans will frame, or shape a woman's butt. The in-vouge woman's jeans drag everything down If you aren't revolted by the plumber's crack/thong glimpse or tramp stamp from behind, you're turned off to the fact, that, frankly, it looks like they are carrying a dump in their pants.

Those jeans + gravity do no women any favors, regardless of their weight.

Draft saved Draft deleted