1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sausage Casing Girls - Letting it all hang out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 6, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My stepmother told me the same thing last time I saw her. She hasn't lost any weight, in fact she's gained a few pounds, but she's gone from a size 8 to a size 4 in the last few years. She's not entirely pleased about it either. She claims that women who are a size 4 are too thin (never mind that her daughter's a size 4).

I'm also amazed at how much sizes vary store to store. I need an extra large tee at Hot Topic (yes, I know I'm too old to be shopping there), but I need a medium at Coldwater Creek.  Or even within the store . . . I can wear a size 10 skirt at the Gap, but I need size 16 jeans from there. Crazy if you ask me.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I don't think that's limited to teenage girls. I still hear fat, too.

But I agree with the trend of clothes stores making sizes bigger. I noticed this in The Limited a while back, and believe it or not A&F's jeans actually fit a bit big. But the cuts have changed too -- they're much slimmer. Even if I'm thinner than I was a two years ago, I might have to go up a size. Kinda goes along with what sportschick said.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'll venture into these waters with a comment.

I think much of women's fashion today is just gross. Doesn't matter about size. Look at the girl's shirt in the pic. That thing is just fugly.

I'm not sure who thought up the ensemble of that shirt, rolled-up jeans and black flip-flops, but damn, it sucks. Please make it stop.

4. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Had a summer intern in our office this year who is 22, extremely cute but a little chunky. She insisted on wearing the belly shirts around the office and let the muffin top out.

Since the office is casual during the summer, I didn't say anything until the end of internship. During her evaluation, I politely told her that at her next job, she should put them away, especially if she wanted to be taken seriously. I didn't get into the weight thing, just the thought process behind wearing inappropriate clothing in a business environment.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dye, many women aren't big fans of the current fashion trends. Personally, I feel like I'm stuck between dressing like I'm a 14-year-old or my mother. I feel like there's nothing for those of us who are in between being a teeny-bopper and a grandmother.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

But what if she was 22 and "smokin' hot"? Would anyone say anything to her then? Or would they just enjoy the view?

SID, I'm not saying you didn't do the right thing and I'm sure you handled it professionally. But hearing the way guys talk (in life and on here), I don't know that a smaller girl would have gotten the same talking-to. She may have gotten her own thread on here, but it wouldn't have been on this topic.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Gonna have to use the ad hominem disagreement. At one office, the tug of war about the dress code was never-ending, no matter who was involved.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"HOT SUMMER INTERN: DO YOU TAP IT REGULAR, OR BOOTS-STYLE?"

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm just glad I'm not a woman. The amount of crap an the whole style issue. Blah.

I see my wife dealing with too much shit when she goes clothes shopping. She's rather petit and finding things are a mess.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing more and more older women dressing like they're 15. It's a bit disconcerting to see a 52-year-old walking down the street in a tiny tank top and pink sweat pants that read "Princess" across the ass.

I do not envy what women put up with for fashion ... the whole, "I'll wear a tiny tank top and miniskirt even though it's 15 degrees outside because I'll only be in line outside the club for 10 minutes" mentality is mind-boggling.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I thought that was you, I waved! 8)

Seriously--there is nothing worse than an adult woman wearing teenagers clothing. Gak. And weight or size has nothing to do with it...just because you CAN wear teeny shorts and heels doesn't mean you should. Ever. I have a sort-of friend, 42 year old PR executive for a big agency...feels she needs to compete with the younger women, so she dresses like they do. It's not pretty. Thong straps showing over her muffin tops, which are slammed into jeans that are three sizes too small....and a dragonfly belly piercing that would look tacky on a stripper, much less a mother of two teenagers. And she makes about $300k a year.

She says feels she needs to do this because it's what's hip and hot...but she's a joke, and it must look that way to her colleagues. She thinks it shows confidence...to me, it shows a total lack of confidence....dressing like a 25 year old because you don't know if your expertise is enough? Ugh.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Dressing sensibly and modestly is never out of fashion. Dressing like you're trying to hold onto the good days is never IN fashion.

Draft saved Draft deleted