1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saudi royal boasts of changing Fox News coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe that Islam, Sharia, and their unwillingness to integrate into French society all play a role in their unemployment as does their racism.

2. YankeeFan

Had this consultant ever worked in TV before or started a successful cable channel from scratch?

Who was his previous employer?

Oh, and what was your favorite show on FoxNews when it debuted? Mine was Pet News. It was a little too political, but good.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Successful? Are you going to argue that "Americas Talking" was successful? Because I don't think I would. He left when it became MSNBC. And frankly, "successful" is probably a reach for MSNBC.

Yes, Ailes had TV experience. That's why he was a TV consultant for Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and two Bushes.

It's not like I'm faulting the hire. If I was going to create a TV network devoted to promoting the Republican Party, Roger Ailes is the first guy I would hire.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Outside of fairy tale lands like this one, most Americans think the media, in all its various forms, is full of shit. And, unfortunately, they're right far too often.

5. YankeeFan

Maybe you've heard of CNBC which was a cash cow for GE/NBC?

Edit: Ailes didn't start CNBC, but he built it into what it was.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Not all Muslims are religious extremists, YF. And not all religious extremists are Muslims. Educate yourself on the difference between mainstream Islam and the homicidal wackos who have hijacked that religion. We have Muslims in this country who have lived here peacefully for years and done their best to assimilate, despite the anti-Muslim hysteria that's run rampant since 9/11.

Whatever is or isn't happening in France may or may not be the Muslims there's fault. Frankly, if the same kind of xenophobic crap is going on there that we're seeing here, that's probably playing a role as well.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

All true, but the percentage of Muslims who are violent extremists is much, much higher than that of any religion, and that is why Muslim extremism is such a worldwide problem.

8. YankeeFan

Dave, I like you, but maybe you should educate yourself.

Inky's post is from 2005 and relates to riots that happened then. Additional riots occurred in 2007.

Muslims here are much more integrated into American life & society. (Though newer immigrants here are also less integrated than previous arrivals.)

First you demanded proof that the participants were Muslims. Having had that proven to you (which you haven't really acknowledged), you now argue whether or not it played a role.

Could you ever be convinced that Islam plays a role in violence or like Eric Holder, do you refuse to admit despite any and all evidence?

9. YankeeFan

Oh, and also, lots of Muslims who immigrated here in the past did so specifically to get away from radical Islamic regimes and because they embraced America's freedom, values, ideals, and capitalist society.

Of course they didn't cause trouble. They were secular Muslims who easily integrated into American society.

Think of the father in The Kite Runner, which, while fictional, had biographical elements.

Think of the thousands if Iranian/Persian Americans who rejected (escaped) the Islamic Revolution.

Or the thousands of Lebanese Americans.

I could go on...

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As you noted, he did not found CNBC. He was president for 3 years, well after it was founded. "Built it into what it was" is a somewhat debatable point; I would argue that the growth of the stock market and individual investing in the mid to late 90s did a hell of a lot more to build it into what it was.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Was the pun intentional in your last sentence?

12. YankeeFan

Fair points. But I think we agree that Ailes was the right guy to hire.

He had the experience and he wanted to kick NBC's ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted