1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saudi gang-rape victim is whipped and jailed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Nov 15, 2007.

1. BBJones

BBJones Guest

JR,
    I can't say this for sure, because I've never done either. But I can't imagine being put to death as an "innocent victim" would be any worse than living in prison after being committed. Especially living all those years knowing you didn't do it. Wouldn't that drive you crazy. (This says nothing about the daily anal rape, either.)

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm ignoring the invasion stuff because it is just stupid.

But nothing is worse than a legal system that provides for the violent punishment of victims, knowing they are innocent of any real wrongdoing. Getting it wrong is one thing. Doing it wrong on purpose is another.

Not that I'm for the death penalty. In fact I'm against it for exactly the reason you just stated. But that doesn't mean Americans can't have an opinion. We do split our attention between things at home and the rest of the world and we do tend to be split on a lot of things. That is part of what is great and part of what is frustrating about this country.

JR, you bring the anti-American stuff on yourself. I'm sorry you can't see that. You seem like a bright guy with a lot to contribute, but the attitude definitely turns a lot of people off. I should know. I've been known to be a bit....abrasive ...myself. :)

3. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

The Saudi invasion deal was sarcasm. sorry I withheld the blue font.

I just couldn't take another 'let's bash the US' jab from a Canadian. Everything about those types of statements smacks of an inferiority complex replete with shades of passive aggressive fuckery.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Alan is instantly in my top-5 of greatest Canadians ever.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Name someone who was actually executed for a crime they didn't commit in the United States since Gregg v. Georgia. If you don't like the death penalty, amend the Constitution of the United States.
    But to equate whipping a rape victim to the existence of a Constitutional form of punishment is ludicrous and irrational.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am sorry. I was making an assumption that because more than three dozen people were released from death row in the past 5-6 years using DNA evidence to determine their innocence, it's likely to extrapolate that there may have been 1-2 folks in the previous 200 years who were put to death though innocent.

And I don't like the death penalty. Since you have given me written permission to amend it, I will head straight to the National Archives with a red marker.

Thanks.

7. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

Sorry, but we are more then a few years away. Now, if we figure out a way to hit up the green river formation in a cost effective way then at least we can get off foreign oil. Oil is here to stay. Even if we ween our vehicles off of it within 20 years(no way) it is used in way too many other things for us to ever kick the habit completely.

8. Couldn't have made that last statement better myself. Flying Headbutt's comment is spot on.

And JR, please tell me where I "went on" about installing democracy in Saudi Arabia. As far as accusing you of anti-Americanism -- I'd say your statements speak for themselves. Judging from others' reactions, including one of your own countrymen, it appears people who can't read/comprehend English are the only ones who think your comments weren't anti-American.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I wasn't bashing the US

My post was merely a counterpoint to Abbott's usual bigotry. He can barely contain himself when he finds something that will inflame anit-Muslim feelings around this place.

I'm usually waiting for Hondo to show up but Lyman did this time so it's not been a total waste.

You know Abbott's dying to type "towelhead" or "raghead" but even he can't cross that line.

I was merely saying, given certain unsavoury FACTS of aspects of the U.S. judicial system I wouldn't be too quick to jump on another country's--as distasteful as it might seem.

10. Cut the disingenuous crap, JR. This certainly isn't the first time you've been accused of it.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Alright Yab. Now go find one single shred of evidence that says that this is ok in Islam.
    Saudis have done a lot things that go against Islam. Like forcing women to cover up their whole bodies.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Lyman, stop being a dick.

Any time I make a comment about the US that's remotely negative you accuse me of being "anti-American" --which you take to mean anybody who doesn't have their head up Fredo's ass.

And I don't care how many times I've been "accused" of it. Given the sources most of the time, I just find it amusing.

You're just pissed that I'm not an American so you can tell me to "love it or leave it".

Draft saved Draft deleted